mtbr member

Bleeding Avid Elixirs?

Anyone out there know if Avid Elixirs are bled in the same way as Juicys? Same bleed kit etc? I'm guessing they are?

In the past i've got away with trimming hose on shimano brakes and not needed to bleed them, wondering if you can get away with the same with avids?

Cheers

Andy

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I’m not sure if the process is the same but I used the same bleed kit I bought for the J7’s to bleed the elixirs. I haven’t had to bleed my J7’s but Avid’s bleed instructions seems very similar for my CR’s.

Calm Like a Bomb
    same....
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Yes the same as J7's and can use the same kit. Download the tech manual for the brakes off the website. I noticed the bleeding instructions have been updated and have some Elixir specific instructions. Essentially the same procedure, just some methodology is slightly different. Also it says to use the bleed blocks that came with the brakes instead of leaving the pads in. I think it's mainly to avoid getting brake fluid on the pads, but was suspecting it might provide pad spacing to keep the pistons from pushing out too far and therfore breaking the seals when pressurizing the system?

The one thing I discovered and key to bleeding Elixirs is to make sure the pad contact and reach adjustments are all the way out before you bleed the brakes, otherwise you'll end up with not enough fluid in the system, and no range of adjustment.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone!

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Hey, where can you find the tech documents? The "Pit-stop" section on the Sram/Avid site has been down for a while.

Edit: Oops, it's in the "Service" section. Didn't notice the tiny links on the bottom of the page.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Main page of the SRAM website bottom link "Service"

http://www.sram.com/en/service/

Avid - technical manuals
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]