Thread: bleeding ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

bleeding ?

i've never had hydraulic discs before and was wondering how often they need to be bled ( once a season with a full tune or just when they feel bad)? also is bleeding my own brakes something that i want to do or should i leave that for a shop. i do almost all of my own tuning/maintanace on the rest of the bike but never have bled brakes how hard is it? let me know what you think.

rolling in the greens

once a year

or if you feel there is air in the line, the air compresses unlike the fluid so if there is air in there the lever will feel squishy. Bleeding is not complicated, buy a bleed kit from your brake manufacturer and it will come with good instructions. Basically you squeeze fluid from the caliper up through line and out the master cylinder on lever until you get no air bubbles.

Depending on your riding style, type and milage you will need to replace rear pads 2x as often as front...keep checking your pads if they get too low they will gouge your rotors. Not sure of a rule of thumb but i replace em when the material gets less than a 1/16th of an inch.
    Hydro's are the best, enjoy
    good luck with em
    Keith Bontrager: "Strong, light, cheap pick any two."

"Something strong and light ain't gonna be cheap. -That's what I call bling.

And cheap and strong ain't gonna be light. -That ain't bling."
    -----[SIZE=3]locoman
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]"That said, I never deal with bike shops for the same reasons. I am a ebay and mail order whore and I don't care"[/SIZE] -----[SIZE=3]yetisurly[/SIZE]

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeforlife
    .......hydraulic discs.........how often they need to be bled? also is bleeding my own brakes something that i want to do or should i leave that for a shop.

I'm using a set of brakes now that are 2 1/2years old without the need for a bleed. The set before were 1 year and no bleed. Unless there is a fault, there is no "need" to bleed.

Yes you should learn to do your own and then you know the qualifications of the person doing them. Otherwise it's a crap shoot.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 09-15-2004 at 07:48 AM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.