mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Bleeding 2012 XT Brakes

I am currently following the "Love the new 2012 XT brakes" thread ... while being very useful I decided to start a new thread about the bleeding process(es). Since I never bled any hydro brakes before (BB7s) I have no formula/avid/shimano bleeding kits. I would like to know what the current successful methods are (other than the shimano gravity method)

so basically:

a) please provide what parts are required
    b) describe the process
    c) maybe provide some useful troubleshooting steps (leaking reservoir from pushing oil past the seal - I don't really understand that concept, but since my reservoir looks to be leaking I would like to see if that is something reversible)

the idea is to make this thread a sticky perhaps

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The only things you need to bleed these brakes are:

The Shimano funnel (part# SM-DISC)
    7mm combo wrench
    3mm allen to remove the cap on the lever
    new Shimano oil brake fluid

The funnel costs $10-$12, so its not breaking the bank to get one. I got my brakes before I could find the funnels anywhere so I used the syringes from my avid bleed kit, but the avid bleed kits cost about $40, so if you dont have either, the proper Shimano funnel is better as well as cheaper.

You paid the money to get the really nice new XT brakes, just get the right parts to bleed them properly. Its also worth noting there are at least a couple threads on here about bleeding the 2012 XT's, one of them started by me. Here are the directions:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830746864.pdf

mtbr member
    I found this to be the best way to bleed brakes, I know this is not for the 2012 but the basics still apply.

Part 1: XT Disc brake setup with Servo Wave - YouTube

Rider
    The Shimano funnel (part# SM-DISC) is sold out everywhere in the US, I just talked to Shimano on the Phone and they don't have any?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    The Shimano funnel (part# SM-DISC) is sold out everywhere in the US, I just talked to Shimano on the Phone and they don't have any?
    I got mine from ride-this.com

They didnt have them in stork right when I ordered, but I got it in about a week and a half from order time.

It is pretty stupid that Shimano cant keep a part like that in stock when all their brake systems are moving towards needing it. Especially since its not like its a complicated mechanical part!

Rider
    the tech on the phone i didn't need one, and I could just use a cloth around the lever....I would rather have the right part and not make a mess.

mtbr member
    If you have any of the SRAM/Avid bleed adapters (brass fitting that comes with their syringes), just use a syringe and some of the tubing, or a whole avid bleed syringe but take out the plunger, works the same. Also its clear so if you have the bike in the stand at an angle that puts the lever high up, its easier to see bubbles than i would imagine the yellow funnel to be.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Did mine without the funnel...had a little over flow...wiped it up...no big deal....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkem View Post
    Did mine without the funnel...had a little over flow...wiped it up...no big deal....
    Do you use nothing at the reservoir end, just remove the bleed port screw and thats it? I dont see how you can do it that way without getting air into the system is you dont have some sort of cup or something on that end

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    Do you use nothing at the reservoir end, just remove the bleed port screw and thats it? I dont see how you can do it that way without getting air into the system is you dont have some sort of cup or something on that end

I used a syringe half full of oil at the caliper and the cap removed from the reservoir (system installed on the bike). Opened the bleed valve at the caliper and pulled the air out of the caliper (the reservoir will somewhat become empty at this time) then after the air rose to the top of the syringe I pushed the fluid back into the caliper until the lever reservoir became full.

Check out the video, it shows you what I'm talking about but they take it one step further which I didn't feel the need to do...it's worked perfect on all my Hydro brakes....

Part 1: XT Disc brake setup with Servo Wave - YouTube

mtbr member
    Ok Im pickin up what your puttin down
    For some reason I was imagining you left the reservoir cap on, and ONLY removed the bleed screw, but I get it now. After bleeding your way, do you have any oil seep out from under the chrome reservoir cap for a while, like 1-2 rides? I get the seepage after bleeding the shimano way (makes me worry since I DID have a brand new lever leak, needing replacement), but I think its just from oil getting under the cap when you take the funnel/syringe out of the reservoir bleed port.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    Ok Im pickin up what your puttin down
    For some reason I was imagining you left the reservoir cap on, and ONLY removed the bleed screw, but I get it now. After bleeding your way, do you have any oil seep out from under the chrome reservoir cap for a while, like 1-2 rides? I get the seepage after bleeding the shimano way (makes me worry since I DID have a brand new lever leak, needing replacement), but I think its just from oil getting under the cap when you take the funnel/syringe out of the reservoir bleed port.
    I had some seepage on the front lever (none on the rear) for a couple days but since there was no loss in performance and no visual indications of a leak I let it go. After a few rides the seepage stopped and the brake performed better than ever.

Keep in mind that if your system is leaking you'll lose lever stiffness really fast because the system doesn't hold much fluid....

AKA Mr.Habanero
    Cant someone just make a video

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think bleeding procedure of XT brakes is the same as for Deore M575:
    Bleeding Shimano BR-M575 brakes - YouTube

What is interesting to me is that oil is not really changed. Old oil is pushed into funnel and then drained back into the system. Old oil is basically mixed with fresh.
    I would/will probably suck old oil from funnel and fill it with fresh one.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by panzer103 View Post
    Cant someone just make a video
    2011 Shimano XTR Brake Bleed - YouTube