mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Bleed kits for Shimano? One for different brake models?

I have a Brodie Mettle that I have for sale and I was thinking of bleeding the brakes. The bike has Shimano M535 brakes. My Giant AX29 has Shimano XT 785 brakes. Is there a kit that will bleed both models of Shimano brakes? A local shop quoted a consumer kit for $49 CDN that should be able to do both of my Shimano brake sets. Sound about right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    I have a Brodie Mettle that I have for sale and I was thinking of bleeding the brakes. The bike has Shimano M535 brakes. My Giant AX29 has Shimano XT 785 brakes. Is there a kit that will bleed both models of Shimano brakes? A local shop quoted a consumer kit for $49 CDN that should be able to do both of my Shimano brake sets. Sound about right?
    As long as you have brakes from the last few years on both, it will be the same brake bleed kit.

The funnel is the piece that is mandatory, and that and a liter of brake fluid is significantly less than $49 CDN, but you're probably talking about the (overpriced) kit that comes with an oral syringe (which my kids get every time they receive oral penicillin prescriptions, which isn't often, but often enough that I have one from that) and tube. The tube you can get from an auto parts store. 5/32" is probably the right size, 1/8" is too small, but you can manage to get a 1/8" fuel line on if you're determined. Clear fuel line or washer fluid tubing should be a few bucks.

If you want to go with the official Shimano kit, you can, but I don't think that even comes with the small 50ml bottle. If you're looking at bleeding both brakes on both bikes, and doing regular bleeds in the future, I'd buy the liter of oil.

As for the kit, watch some YouTube videos on how to bleed the newer brakes (easy) and decide for yourself what, if anything, you want to buy from Shimano besides a liter of oil and the funnel set.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am not sure if I need a funnel for the M535 brakes according to some. The M535 Deore are from 2008. The XT are 2012. I really only need to bleed the M535 right now. I guess I need to google the youtubes to see what I need and how to do it for these brakes. I have the bleed blocks that came with the XT brakes, so should come in handy I hope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    I am not sure if I need a funnel for the M535 brakes according to some. The M535 Deore are from 2008.
    Sorry, I don't know exactly what you'd need for 2008 M535s. Hopefully someone else who knows more than I do can help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I watched a video and I know what I need now. No funnel usable with M535, or at least, not needed. I may try to burp the brakes first before trying to bleed them.