mtbr member

New question here. Bleed Exilir w/o Avid kit?

I just installed some Exilir CR brakes that replaced BB7s. Like a dumbass I loosened the banjo bolt that holds the hose line and a drop or two of fluid leaked out of the rear caliper. The rear caliper is a tiny bit squishier than the front now. Nothing major though.

So my question is there any other way to bleed out the air in the brake line without buying the Avid Kit for $50 ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FACTION95
    I just installed some Exilir CR brakes that replaced BB7s. Like a dumbass I loosened the banjo bolt that holds the hose line and a drop or two of fluid leaked out of the rear caliper. The rear caliper is a tiny bit squishier than the front now. Nothing major though.

So my question is there any other way to bleed out the air in the brake line without buying the Avid Kit for $50 ?
    you can try DIY but you need to see the connecting thingy that connects to the bleed port.check out avid website to look at the red thingy that attaches to the bleed port.most of the things used i think can be had from dialysis supplies

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You can get bleed kit for less $.

mtbr member
    Don't the Elixir brakes require specific hardware?

How much does it weigh?
    Same as a Juicy.

Rub it............
    The Elixer uses the same bleed kit, but a slightly different bleed method. Just get the bleed kit. You will end up making it worse without it.

DG5
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The Elixer uses the same bleed kit, but a slightly different bleed method. Just get the bleed kit. You will end up making it worse without it.
    +1 ,get the bleed kit. it is a worthwhile investment and can be found for about $40 online.
    I love my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DG5
    +1 ,get the bleed kit. it is a worthwhile investment and can be found for about $40 online.
    I don't suppose you have a link to a website that sells it for $40?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Amazon $36.99 and free shipping

Nuts
    First off I think Avid and Formula take the same fittings and the Formula kit is cheaper. Second there are a few diy instructions to make the fittings if you google it. It doesn't look to tough, I will make a set up this winter when time permits.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the formula kit sucks compared to the avid one. i use the avid kit on my formulas, the kit is well worth it for what they provide you with, very complete!

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by AkumaY
    the formula kit sucks compared to the avid one. i use the avid kit on my formulas, the kit is well worth it for what they provide you with, very complete!
    Just curious what sucks about it? Isn't it just a couple of syringes, fittings, and some hose? Please explain.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Get the kit

mtbr member
    you dont need any manufacturers special bleed kit to bleed any hydraulic brakes, and bleed kit will work. It's the same process; hook the gun to the zerk fitting, loosen, sueeze out fluid while adding fluid to the master cylinder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule
    you dont need any manufacturers special bleed kit to bleed any hydraulic brakes, and bleed kit will work. It's the same process; hook the gun to the zerk fitting, loosen, sueeze out fluid while adding fluid to the master cylinder.
    Since when did Avid brakes have zerk fittings?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Tam Haze
    Get the kit
    Send me 36.99!

Seems like alot for a couple of drilled out m8 bolts with some tubing brazed on. 25 cents tops done.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee
    Seems like alot for a couple of drilled out m8 bolts

They are not M8, they are M5 Bolts.

I used M5 x 30mm with Allen head, drill a 1.5-2mm hole in the middle, drill bit self centers in the allen head center, then drill till the other end. After drill is done, cut out the Allen head. Using a file remove 5mm of threads at the end where tubbing will be attached. Add a M5 nut and a 5mm O-Ring.

Then you'll need the syringes (pharmacy), tubbing(Aquarium store) , and DOT4 (auto parts store), and that's it.

I did this DIY because I wanted to bleed my brakeas asap and could not find the kit locally, and ordering on-line takes some time to be delivered. This DIY works, but after my emergency bleed using it, I ended up buying a kit.

If you are in USA (I am not) you can buy this fitting:

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/index...ource=googleps

http://www.anver.com/document/vacuum...tings/bm5!.htm

There are lots of information here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...81056#poststop
    Last edited by Spaceman-Spiff; 09-19-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Rub it............
    Did I mention before "Get the kit"?

Nuts
    [QUOTE=Spaceman-Spiff]They are not M8, they are M5 Bolts.

I used M5 x 30mm with Allen head, drill a 1.5-2mm hole in the middle, drill bit self centers in the allen head center, then drill till the other end. After drill is done, cut out the Allen head. Using a file remove 5mm of threads at the end where tubbing will be attached. Add a M5 nut and a 5mm O-Ring.

Then you'll need the syringes (pharmacy), tubbing(Aquarium store) , and DOT4 (auto parts store), and that's it.

I did this DIY because I wanted to bleed my brakeas asap and could not find the kit locally, and ordering on-line takes some time to be delivered. This DIY works, but after my emergency bleed using it, I ended up buying a kit.

Thanks great idea, I can make that work. (and yes m5 not m8 my bad)
    And I love beer!!

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    Did I mention before "Get the kit"?
    I bought "THE KIT" for every type of brakes I have had so far and now have $100 worth of useless kits in the basement. No more kits!!!
    And I love beer!!