They say I have a problem

A blast from the past...Avid Arch Rivals...

I've got a problem with a set of Avid Arch Rivals. I was trying to remove the brakes from my bike and when I unscrewed the bolt connecting the brakes to the frame the pin that sits in the frame was torn off the brake. This has happened to me in the past and I contacted Avid directly and they sent the replacement part. Problem is Avid is now owned by Sram and I have no clue what the contact email is. I'm going to stop by my LBS, but in the past I've had an easier time dealing directly with the manufacturer then the LBS.

Here's the brakes;

Here's the busted part (after being removed from the brake arm);

Thanks for the help..
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

...idios...
    You'll find telephone numbers in the 'Contact Us' link at www.sram.com.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah, you can contact them, but for parts and such they usually deal with LBSs only, according to what I have read around here...

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Yeah, you can contact them, but for parts and such they usually deal with LBSs only, according to what I have read around here...
    I had a feeling you were going to day that. They were so helpful when they were just Avid. The first time this happened, about 3-4 years ago, they just shipped out the replacement parts for free.

I found the phone number on the web site, I might try and call them, or just hit the LBS's around here and see what they can do.

Worst part is I was cleaning the bike so it would be ready to be sold. Last thing I want to do is to put more money into a bike that isn't being used.

...idios...
    Has the pin snapped? I used to use Arch Rivals (outstanding brakes) and had a similar problem. I was able to just place the pin in the hole and tighten everything back up. The only time it caused me any trouble was if I forgot about it when I removed the brake for maintenance. I spent more time than I'd have liked to scratting around the floor for that bloody pin. I think I ended up putting a carefully placed dab of super-glue on it.

Yup, that's what happened...Problem is I can't find the pin...I'll scour the floor tonight again...

...idios...
    "I'll scour the floor tonight again..."

Good luck with that!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How about a set of XT or XTR V-brakes?
    You can get a set of XT's from Jenson for about $30. Easier to get parts for also.
    sorry if that isnt the most helpful, just what popped into my head.

Oh yea, I thought of that too....Actually I've got an old set of LX brakes that I could pop on the bike or I could steal a set of XT off one of the other MTB's and put the LX on that bike. I have options, but had hopes to get the Avid brake working again so that the bike had matching brakes when I attempted to sell it...

It's funny, seems whenever I work on my wife's bike something always breaks or doesn't go as planned...I'm thinking her bike doesn't like me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Isn't that just a roll pin in there? can't you go to NAPA or hardware store and find a replacement for 50 cents?

Waited a day to crawl on the floor, but I found it! It's intact, but a bit bent. I superglued it back in and will reinstall the brakes that way. I just need to remember to be careful when I'm removing it the next time.