mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Black Disc Rotors

Hello!

In the search to get all my components black, I have reached the final frontier: the rotors.

Back in the day of rim brakes it was easy: my X517 rims were black anodised, and were then ceramic coated. Brilliant braking performance, and they stayed black.

Any idea if there is something similar available? Couldn't find anything on the net :-(

Cheers in advance!

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    You want the actual braking surface to remain black?
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by estabro View Post
    You want the actual braking surface to remain black?
    Yep. A little something like this:

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That zinc coating will be rubbed off in a few stops. Stainless steel isn't black, so once you use/wear the rotors they will show their true color. Two-piece rotors with black centers is as close as you're going to get.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I run the Hope Saw rotrors. Pretty close to being all black.

I ride with tools
    I got some high temperature flat black spray paint and did mine myself, everything but the braking surface. They look great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Do ceramic coated rotors exist? would be great (lke the aforementioned rims) if the ceramic coating could save the black rotors....

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by flobach View Post
    Do ceramic coated rotors exist? would be great (lke the aforementioned rims) if the ceramic coating could save the black rotors....
    You could have some done at the local powder coater. But the thickness will mean they will likely be to think to clear the pads. And ceramic is a good insulator which is bad for brakes because you want them to shed the heat to maintain it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The black to black Scrub Raceday Rotors, like this:

SCRUB Bremsscheibe Aluminium "Raceday" 160mm 49g, 197,50

or the black Scrub Workhorse Rotors... then after a few miles, the brake surface will darken in color, like here:

[url=http://www.bikefix.net/2009/08/bikefix-exclusive-review-scrub_31.html[/url]

not exactly black, but I think this is the closest you can get.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    All black, that would be sweet looking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    197.5 euro is ~$250 USD.

manufacturer
    if you run centerlocks you can try these as well.
    Absoluteblack - lightest centerlock rotors

We have patented technology to produce entirely black surface from titanium base material which is going to last as long as disc will last you. Rotors are still under development (these with black surface) and expecting them to launch in mid May.

It will be possible to swap then steel friction ring on rotors below to entire black titanium one (with same design), as friction rings are user removable, based on full floating technology.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Disc Rotors-centerlock-rotor-95g-1-.jpg  

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by tehan View Post
    if you run centerlocks you can try these as well.
    Absoluteblack - lightest centerlock rotors

We have patented technology to produce entirely black surface from titanium base material which is going to last as long as disc will last you. Rotors are still under development (these with black surface) and expecting them to launch in mid May.

It will be possible to swap then steel friction ring on rotors below to entire black titanium one (with same design), as friction rings are user removable, based on full floating technology.
    Sounds great . . . . just make sure that you make some in 203 and 183mm versions 6-bolt (none of that centerlock crap).

manufacturer
    180 is coming. To be fair centerlock is better by far in this case as it allows to build spider which can provide truly full floating system. It's not possible to fit it into 6bolt pattern. To not be wrongly understand: All rivet style rotors like Hope floating, Formula R1 (on spider) or Carbon-Ti are actually semi floating designs. Friction ring does not have any ability to move when cold or just slightly heated, which means they perform in cold or wet conditions like standard rotors. They start working as floating ones, when friction ring is hot enough to expand. This puts some stresses into the rotor when heating up or cooling down.

AbsoluteBLACK rotors, have constant controlled ability to move sideways and expand when heated. This solves squealing in wet problems, damps harmonic vibrations and prevents thermal distortion or warping.
    It is exactly same in motorsport industry - semi floating and fully floating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sounds interesting....keep us in the loop tehan!