aka 'Grover'

BL-M755 or BL-M756 with XTR calipers?

Hey Guys,

I'm wanting to use some XTR disc calipers with non dual control levers. Now the question is, should I use the M755 or M756 levers? I have access to either.

I would like to use the M755 levers as they are 50 grams lighter but my problem is hoses. I know that when these brakes where sold as a complete set they came with the braided hoses and quite frankly I don't want to use them. Is there a plastic hose that is compatible with these levers and the XTR calipers (BH61 perhaps) and do you have to use 90 degree fittings when using these plastic hoses? If not then is there a Goodridge kit that is compatible?

What levers would you recommend I use? I'd really like to use the lighter ones but will it sacrifice performance much?

Would love to hear from people with personal experience but if you know the answers feel free to post aswell.

Thanks, John.

mtbr member
    No personal experience, but the Shimano service manual: http://bike.shimano.com/services/im...ake_Systems.pdf has a compatability table for hoses, levers and calipers which should help you to see what your options are. I think they don't make the braided hoses anymore, but one of the plastic lines fit the 755.

Wombat

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    Hey Guys,

I'm wanting to use some XTR disc calipers with non dual control levers. Now the question is, should I use the M755 or M756 levers? I have access to either.
    I went with 756 levers with XTR calipers. Worked great until my calipers both developed sticky pistons. Warrantied them and sold them.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Chrome Toaster
    You can use either. The 755 lever requires the hose with the 90 degree banjo such as the XTR hose BH-96. There was an older hose model I think is no longer made. I think it was the BH-60 or BH-61 which was compatible and meant as a substitute for the steel braided lines. BH-96 substitues the older ones. The 756 lever uses the straight out fitting hose model BH-62 or 63

mtbr member
    Use the 756's. The 755's are hard to get parts for and use the old fixed length hoses. The 756's are current technology. Also, the Deore levers are very similar to the 756's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    You can use either. The 755 lever requires the hose with the 90 degree banjo such as the XTR hose BH-96. There was an older hose model I think is no longer made. I think it was the BH-60 or BH-61 which was compatible and meant as a substitute for the steel braided lines. BH-96 substitues the older ones. The 756 lever uses the straight out fitting hose model BH-62 or 63

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    Use the 756's. The 755's are hard to get parts for and use the old fixed length hoses. The 756's are current technology. Also, the Deore levers are very similar to the 756's.
    Like I said, the older 755 is compatible with the new BH-96 hose used with the XTR levers. A friend of mine is currently running this setup. many years ago they also introduced the BH-60 hose which was a cuttable version to eliminate the fixed length steel braided hoses.
    The Deore, XT, Saint, and LX levers are all the same 756 lever with correspponding color and logo.

mtbr member

As hecebus says :

You can use 755 with BH61 (or BH96) hoses to XTR calipers.
    I have both 755 and 756 to XTR calipers. They appear identical internally apart from the hose fittings and the master cyl housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Like I said, the older 755 is compatible with the new BH-96 hose used with the XTR levers. A friend of mine is currently running this setup. many years ago they also introduced the BH-60 hose which was a cuttable version to eliminate the fixed length steel braided hoses.
    The Deore, XT, Saint, and LX levers are all the same 756 lever with correspponding color and logo.