mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Birthday upgrade, hydro brake suggestions?

I'm thinking of upgrading my BB7 180/160 F/R setup to a hydro setup. I've got no experience with them but I've ridden a few and liked it. I consider myself pretty confortable with disc brakes, I know how to adjust the BB7's, change pads, tweak the bite points and use the tri-align system, I'm saying this so that I can hopefully avoid suggestions to stick with mech discs. I'm to the point that how I like my brakes, basically a light switch -- all on with minimal pull, can't be satisfied with mech's. I'm finding that after a race I've got to adjust the brakes again as they have lost the bite I'm looking for as well as fade over the course of the race.

I'm all SRAM with x.7/x.9 F/R shifters so if that makes a difference take it into consideration. Also I have the 180/160 but I don't know if with hydros that the 180 could be sized back down to 160. Also I have G2 Cleansweep rotors, can I recycle them and just get levers/calipers or are new discs a must? I'd like to keep it around $300 for both F/R as well.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    shimano SLX can usually be had for around $200 without rotors from Blue Sky. Rotors are probably another $50 total. Great power, very much on/off. Very similar to XT/XTR, I've heard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RCook View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading my BB7 180/160 F/R setup to a hydro setup. I've got no experience with them but I've ridden a few and liked it. I consider myself pretty confortable with disc brakes, I know how to adjust the BB7's, change pads, tweak the bite points and use the tri-align system, I'm saying this so that I can hopefully avoid suggestions to stick with mech discs. I'm to the point that how I like my brakes, basically a light switch -- all on with minimal pull, can't be satisfied with mech's. I'm finding that after a race I've got to adjust the brakes again as they have lost the bite I'm looking for as well as fade over the course of the race.

I'm all SRAM with x.7/x.9 F/R shifters so if that makes a difference take it into consideration. Also I have the 180/160 but I don't know if with hydros that the 180 could be sized back down to 160. Also I have G2 Cleansweep rotors, can I recycle them and just get levers/calipers or are new discs a must? I'd like to keep it around $300 for both F/R as well.

Suggestions?
    Go with the XTR, you won't be disappointed..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    Go with the XTR, you won't be disappointed..
    For $300 front and rear? link to it please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Blue Sky is running a sale until the 24th for $120 each front and rear for the XTs

or you can get SLX for $80 each front and rear.

I think BlueSky usually has XTR for ~$150 each without rotors couldn't find it on a quick search of their site.

mtbr member
    I picked up a used M975 XTR brakeset for $190 and it is by far the best brakes I have ever used. Power, Modulation, haven't needed to bleed them, don't squeal, and look amazing. That being said, I think the SLX is a great budget option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    XT or XTR

mtbr member
    My wife got me XT brakes for my birthday about 2 weeks ago. Like you, I moved from BB7 to XT brakes. I am using a 180/160 combo with Icetech rotors. Very easy set-up and they work really well. If you had a good set-up with your BB7's, the XT will feel similar in many ways - and I mean that in a good way to both brakes. BB7's are really nice brakes but the XT's are just a little bit better. The XT's have much greater power at the end stroke and feel less "rough" at that point as well. I am not sure where my wife got them (I wanted her to go to my LBS!) but I have seen them for $120 a wheel with rotors at ~$50 per wheel. You can use them with your existing rotors as well.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

b a n n e d
    I'll sell you a set of Elixir 5's WITH rotors and adapters for $100! You pay shipping

If you want new, I'd suggest Hope or XT. No need for XTR unless you are worried about weight.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    If you go XT (as I did), get yourself a pair of Problem Solver Shimano brake/SRAM shifter mounts. I found that the dedicated SRAM shifter clamp + the ungainly huge Shimano brake lever clamp = not ideal ergonomics (for me). The Problem Solver acts like a Matchmaker mount, and is well worth it.

mtbr member
    ....and don't get the Problem Solvers. See my post here on the PS experience: Problem Solvers Mismatch adapters

change is good
    Sep 2004

Birthday upgrade, hydro brake suggestions?

The Problem Solvers ergonomics work for me.

mtbr member
    Save the money and pickup the Deore M596. You can buy two sets for $300.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just purchased a set of 785 front & rear (black) w/160 rotors (6 bolt) from Jenson 370.00 delivered best deal in stock I found. I figure my time is worth something and my finger started hurting from searching on this damn Ipad. I found silver at nashbar for 109 and center lock rotors 180 59. & 160 for 54..

Jim
    Jim Roberts
    JBI Armory
    FFL 07 / SOT
    469-236-9507

mtbr member
    hope m4's