mtbr member
    Sep 2013

BikesDirect Warranty: Motobecane Fantom Avid Elixir 3 Brake Pad Rubbing Rotor Issue

Hi everyone,

I started a thread about this a while ago and I'm not quite sure what to do now.

This is a Motobecane Fantom 29er FS bike that was bought about 1.5 months ago from Bikes Direct. The bike has Avid Elixir 3 brakes.

So basically the brake pads would rub against the brake rotor at a certain speed. If it gets past above or below that speed, the rubbing stops. There is absolutely no rubbing at all when checking for rotor trueness so that's not the issue.

I've taken it to 2 LBS and in summary, they said that it's common with Avid Elixir 3's lack of pad clearance. I've tried tightening the dropouts and making sure they're in the correct position. Basically every solution that's been recommended on here.

I'm not sure what to do right now. Is this a warranty issue? The bike is not supposed to be doing this given that it's brand new...

mtbr member
    2 bike shops and you're still having brake issues? For the smokin deal you probably got on that Motobecane just upgrade the brakes! Either Shimano SLX/XT or the newer Avid trail brakes and you're good to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    2 bike shops and you're still having brake issues? For the smokin deal you probably got on that Motobecane just upgrade the brakes! Either Shimano SLX/XT or the newer Avid trail brakes and you're good to go.
    I bought a brand new bike expecting it to perform flawless, regardless of whether I got a deal or not. This is clearly a manufacturer design fault, and I believe it should be covered by warranty. I actually searched and some people were having the same issue. They had either the mfg or the LBS call Avid for replacement.

But my main concern is, if I do bring the brakes back to Avid for replacement, what if the new Avid Elixir 3 replacement still has the same issue? That'd be a real waste of time.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It sounds like you're getting rotor rub because of flex at the hub/frame/fork interface. New Avids probably won't help. A Shimano brake might, since the pad gap is a little wider. The bike shops probably weren't inclined to help because they won't make any money on the deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yes, you did bought a brand new bike. It came with sub par brakes. You could have done 5 minutes of googling and figure that out.

That is the risk you take ordering from online stores. As said before. LBS are not inclined to help since they are not making any money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Check if rotor is true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Rotors were trued by LBS already.

I e-mailed BikesDirect, hope they can do something about this seeing as it's a brand new bike with existing warranty...

mtbr member
    Take it back to the sales person at bikesdurect that helped you....oh, wait a second......

Unfortunately you purchased a bike at a pricepoint that comes with lower end components to make that pricepoint. While the rubbing is annoying, it does not really effect the performance of the bike.

Maybe invest in some earplugs? or upgrade the brakes......

And to answer your question - no, brake rub is not a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Just ride it?

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

DFMBA.org

BikesDirect Warranty: Motobecane Fantom Avid Elixir 3 Brake Pad Rubbing Rotor...

I have Elixir 3 brakes an have very slight pad brush occasionally but not enough to harm performance. This goes away with a ride usually.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Plays with tools
    It's pretty normal for rotors to rub slightly when cornering, is that what you're experiencing? Regardless of what's causing it, it sounds very minor and is very unlikely to do anything other than annoy you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    of course it's the principal, you bought a new bike and it should be perfect. On my new stumpy it had avid xx that lasted a month before sucking. Avid makes really bad brakes. Get some maguras or shimanos at closeout price somewhere and move on. I tried going direct to avid and they said go through the dealer.

mtbr member
    Buy Shimano SLX, dump Avid in trash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaX View Post
    I e-mailed BikesDirect, hope they can do something about this seeing as it's a brand new bike with existing warranty...
    Don't hold your breath..
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

More Torque
    Whether it is now, next month, or next year, get some Shimanos (SLX or better) and be done with it. You'll thank us later.

-D

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I had a similar problem with my low end Bikesdirect bike.
    I told them the problem and I had a new set of discs in my hand 5 days later. I don't understand why everyone is bashing them, they have great customer service! Much better than the LBS I bought my road bike from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishymamba View Post
    I had a similar problem with my low end Bikesdirect bike.
    I told them the problem and I had a new set of discs in my hand 5 days later. I don't understand why everyone is bashing them, they have great customer service! Much better than the LBS I bought my road bike from.
    Everyone is far from bashing them.

Out of curiosity - what brakes did you originally have, and what were they replaced with?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm content with my Elixirs. I don't expect bikes ridden off-road to be silent.

A mechanic I know was fond of Shimano's hydraulic disc brakes. He said they had more clearance than anyone's, at the time. That being about a year ago, so probably still current. If it bothers you that much, that's an option.

Bear in mind that rotors warp and calipers get dirt in them. I think this is just a design problem with Avids, and you need to decide what it's worth to you.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had Elixirs on my 26 hardtail and I was a having a great time flying down one particular trail when I suddenly saw a man and a dog in front of me. I literally stopped inches before hitting the dog. After that I decided that Elixirs just didn't do it for me, I was running the R's on that particular bike.

Likewise I had a bad experience with the Juicy's on my 29er hardtail when I saw my friend out braking me,he was running V brakes.

In both instances I went to Codes and felt content with my decision. Since that time I've decided that dual caliper brakes work but when you're really going fast and need the power they're just not going to perform at high levels.