sal
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Bike remake. About Disk Brakes & Magura

Hi folks!
    I need some help!
    After 6 year whitout touching my bike I felt irresistible wishes to ride it again.
    So I make a close inspection and I find a lot of grime, some rust and a retro look (its around 10 year old, a K2 fully rigid) So I totally disassembled to see what I can save. Some component are OK bud abused, so the really good thing is the frame (aluminium oversized. 2.3 Kg / 5 lb.) wich will be the base for my "new" rig

I was thinking to put a fork (Bombshell Bad Betty or something like Black Platinum) and new brakes (Magura HS33). Also I need a new BB and Headset.

If I go for the Bombshell I have to use Disk Brakes and fit Brake Therapy Kit in the back and forget the Maguras. Rigth?. So my question is Can I fit Disk in front and Magura in the back?

I suppose you are thinking why I don't buy a new bike, well some sentimental aspect and some fun to remake it. Anyway I have the project to buy a new FS bud I think is better to start to get the feeling again…

Opinions about the forks welcome…

Thanks!

Do It Yourself
    If your bike is 10 years old, I would probably advise you just look at a new bike rather than upgrade your old frame. You can get probably get a nice full bike with discs and all for less than it would cost to upgrade your old frame. Besides if your frame is indeed 10 years old, it probably has a 1" headtube and will not have good geometry for a modern suspension fork. Giant brand usually has a pretty good components for the money. Check your local bike shop to see what they have in your price range.

"El Whatever"
    Use your current bike as a beater. If you want to put a Black platinum, disc brakes and some other stuff it means you might be spending like $800 bucks which coincidentially is the cost of a brand new Giant Warp DS1 '04.... which already has a 4" travel fork, an aluminum frame with 5" travel and pre-load and rebound adjustable shock, Avid mechanical disc brakes and 27 gears.......... do the math.

Yes you can put a front disc with rear rims and is a good set-up indeed. But the cost is just too high. If you feel nostalgic, you'd rather try to get your bike rolling as stock as you can. You might spend a lot less.

Save your bucks for the new bike and get you a Giant VT or Specialized Enduro. From the heart.

Happy Trails!!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have to agree, you'd be looking at a new fork, a disc wheel or wheelset if you go with a brake therapy, trying to find a fork with a 1" steerer and disc tabs, and the cost of the brakes. Warp is right, you may be looking at $750 to $800 unless you find some really good deals. The other problem you will run into is that frame is not geometery corrected for a suspension fork, so it will handle like a chopper with anything over a 2" travel fork. You can find some killer deals on a full disc bike............
    Pat T.