mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Bigger rotor or bigger caliper for my Hope?

I've just recently bought a Hope Tech X2 for my Knolly Endorphin. The brakes are awesome, a little weaker than the XT's it replaced but better modulation and feel. My problem is my riding has progressed and I now feel that the brakes can't stop me when I need it to. What to do?

Do I change the front to an M4 caliper? (Do they even sell just M4 caliper only without the levers?) Or do I just get a bigger rotor? I am currently running a 180 front, 160 rear. By the way, I can lock up the rear without a problem, it's the front that can't seem to cope up.

I've read alot about the M4/X2 combo, but it was too late when I realized that I needed more braking power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Give it some time

Hopes take a long time to breakin. Don't know how long you have been braking with them, but the more you can ride with the pads in contact the sooner they will breakin. I orginaly had a pair of Mono Mini Pros both 160s. After a few months of hard riding I bumped the front up to a 180 and haven't thought about braking anymore. Perfect. And this is on a wagon wheeled bike and I'm 220lbs.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hmmm... I just sold my Mono Mini Pros as I thought I needed something 'more'. 183F and160R could stop my 210lbs but I could (nearly) cook them on long descents in the Austrian Alps and I just don't have the confidence. I'm now looking at getting Tech M4's or Avid Elixer CR's.

banned
    You can buy an M4 caliper from Hope separate, or hunt on ebay for a PM 07 or 08. 06 is harder to find and the PM tabs are located a bit different from the later models.

Especially if you have the gold/metallic pads, it will take a while for all to break in.

Locking up the rear means nothing, as when you brake, weight shifts forward and locking up the rear only signifies lack of traction and lack of braking coordination by the user.

As it goes, I was using Minis some time ago, in 2006, and I was ok with them, though I wanted a wider margin, so I moved up to the M4 in the front, then scored a good deal on a v2, so the M4 went in the back. My gf runs an m4 front, and mini rear and she's light. The M4 gives her controllable power, which is the main reason she has it, as she's a lightweight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I haven't had these brakes for long, but it took me a couple less rides to brake in the XT's. Maybe I need to bed it in some more before I decide, I'm just using standard pads though.

Obviously I don't need to upgrade the rear as there is more than adequate power and for the reasons Jerk stated.

Are the new M4 calipers already available seperately?