mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Better Modulation: Louise Fr or XTR

I am looking at a new set of brakes coming off of mech's. I want a good modulating brake that i don't have to mess with on the trail. I don't mind a tougher time setting up if i can then forget about them. I have narrowed it down to the XTR caliper with XT levers or the Magura Louise Fr. my lbs would do the xt/xtr set up, but i would have to do the magura setup since there are no dealers nearby. I like the juicy's, but unless they have fixed the problems---i guess i should stay away! (although they have some good prices on them now)

Thanks for your help!

Bodhisattva
    Not fair to compare Louise FR to XTR. Louise FR uses bigger rotors. But since you asked about modulation, then FR is the hands-down winner in my experience.

What Juicy problems? I've had none with mine, nor have any of the other dozen or so riders I know who use them.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

juicy's

I have just been reading all of the posts and i see a ton of "juicy solution" posts. From studdering to brake squeal to people buying new rotors that aren't wavy and trying to fix problems. Like I said previously I don't mind spending the time to set up brakes the right way, or periodical maint----------i just want something that had good power, modulation, and quiet! If i am incorrect about the juicy, then i would be happy becuase i can get a full set ( 180f and 160r) for 290 shipped!

Bodhisattva
    I've had minor sutterring issues with wavy rotors on both my Magura Louise FRs and Avid Juicys. Solution to both is sanding down the rough edges on the rotors. Takes about 20 minutes to do both by hand with sandpaper followed by emory cloth, less than that with a dremel.
    Cross reference Juicy Louise and myself and Tscheezy and you'll find lots of posts.

No problems whatsoever with round rotors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thank Squeak

Thanks for all the help. Obviously you ride both,,,which one do you prefer? I am going to go 180front and 160 rear and the avid's would be about $100 less. If i can sand down the rough edges and be good to go---that may be where i will head!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by soxfan
    Thanks for all the help. Obviously you ride both,,,which one do you prefer? I am going to go 180front and 160 rear and the avid's would be about $100 less. If i can sand down the rough edges and be good to go---that may be where i will head!
    I think the brakes are equal in terms of power & modulation.
    Magura's customer service can't be beat.
    The Avid has a better lever & is easier to setup.
    For $100, the choice is fairly obvious.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Not fair to compare Louise FR to XTR. Louise FR uses bigger rotors. But since you asked about modulation, then FR is the hands-down winner in my experience.

What Juicy problems? I've had none with mine, nor have any of the other dozen or so riders I know who use them.
    Louise FR hands-down better modulation? I haven't ridden the Louise, but I always thought the XTRs to have excellent modulation. Interesting, I'll have to try some Louise at some point.

I just used my Juicys (with 185 rotors) for the first time last night. The front howled like a banshee for the first 30 stops or so, but then got quiet and powerful all at once. No stuttering with my polygons as of yet, and I didn't even file or Dremel them.

The only problem I have thus far in limited use with the Juicys is the engagement point. I want the best of both worlds, the instant engagement of the XTRs without the drag. Probably should of bought 7s instead of 5s (yeah Squeaky you were right), but the 5s were so dirt cheap ($180 for both) I couldn't pass them up.

Bodhisattva
    Well, if you want to try the FR's, then you can ride my HH tonight. I'll be on the Pack.
    Lemme know.
    Also, I found that my Juicys needed a bit of repositioning after the first ride or two. Maybe I didn't tighten down the caliper enough or maybe it just slipped. Things have been smooth sailing ever since.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Well, if you want to try the FR's, then you can ride my HH tonight. I'll be on the Pack.
    Lemme know.
    Also, I found that my Juicys needed a bit of repositioning after the first ride or two. Maybe I didn't tighten down the caliper enough or maybe it just slipped. Things have been smooth sailing ever since.
    Thanks for the offer, but I still to my bike tonight. I barely got my Juicys broken in at all, so I'm anxious to do a real ride with them. Last night I was just cruising around with my wife (who didn't like being next to the guy with loud squealing brakes).

See you tonight, looking forward to a ride as I've been skiing a ton and riding a tiny bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Juicy 7 or 5

Is the Juicy 7 worth the extra $$$ over the 5? I know you lose the contact pad adjustment, but is that all and is it worth it? also, depending on the website's i have looked at there are a couple different rotors----------which do you recomend? i am going 185f and 160r. is this the best rotor to get? and lastly where is a good place to buy them--i have been looking at Jenson.

Thanks guys for everything!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Is the Juicy 7 worth the extra $$$ over the 5? I know you lose the contact pad adjustment, but is that all and is it worth it? also, depending on the website's i have looked at there are a couple different rotors----------which do you recomend? i am going 185f and 160r. is this the best rotor to get? and lastly where is a good place to buy them--i have been looking at Jenson.

Thanks guys for everything!
    The pad adjustment thing is THE difference. While I would like to be able to change the engagement point, it wasn't worth the huge amount of $ difference. I got Juicy 5s for $180 for the set where a single 7 was about $170. Not worth that much more money for the pad adjustment

The polygon rotor (in your picture) is the current rotor shipping. They look cool, but some have had problems with stuttering and squealing. Mine have been fine so far. Round rotors, while not as cool looking IMO, are supposed to be trouble free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

juicy 5's

where did you get the juicy's 5 for that price?

Bodhisattva
    where did you get the juicy's 5 for that price?
    Mountain High Cyclery
    www.mountainhighcyclery.com
    mtnhighcyclery@comcast.net

Website is sparse. Give Larry a call or drop him an email. He's in the shop from 1-7 MST.