mtbr member

Best XC Hydro brakes?

I've been using Juicy 7's forever and I'm finding out many people are having issues or just favor other brakes. What's your take? They need to be dependable and light weight helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am thoroughly enjoying my formula R1.

I use it for "trail"riding in addition to xc.

I'm ~200 lbs and run 180/160. Big improvement over my juicy 7's. A little tricky to setup, but so far so good.

A little pricey, but i got a good deal on some OEM's.

I would also look at the magura marta sl's and hope's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the Juicy 7's with no complaints. Are you having problems or do you want to switch just because people are complaining about theirs?

Anybody who has ridden enough types will have a preference. Some will like the very ones you use. As for me, it's easier to tell which ones I DON'T like than the ones I do. There are also a lot I haven't used that I have no opinion on.

Every bike I've ridden with J7's was fine for me. I don't dislike them. J5's have some limitations I'd prefer not to have, but those aren't bad brakes, either. I haven't had trouble with Hayes 9's, but I hate Hayes soles. I like the bb7, but not the bb5. I also don't like most other mechanical disc.

Other people will disagree with me, and like some of the models I hate. They'll also hate some of the ones I like. Whatever. Opinions are like @$$holes, right?

Do YOU like your brakes? Do they have limitations you'd rather not have? If so, what are those limitations? Do they function poorly in certain situations for you? What are they? These are more constructive questions to ask and answer.

If you don't have problems, then don't worry about what others say. I've been using Magura Julies since 2003 and I've read a lot of complaints on them. They work fine for me. So I keep riding them.

mtbr member
    I've got several pairs of the juicy 7's and really don't have any complaints. I am just wondering if there are others out there that I'll like better. I know that I'll be upgrading some of my components in the off season and am just doing some research as to what I may upgrade to next. I also wonder if anything is just as dependable and maybe a bit lighter?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have elixir crs and am enjoying the increased stopping power and modulation over my tektro hydros but i can not stand the loud ass noises ALL the time. multiple threads about avid brakes being noisy on this site alone. my friend has juicy 5's and his does the same thing.

i was gonna go with the formula r1's and regret not doing so.

do you have any friends with higher end brakes? give their bike a test ride. it won't give you a full review but it may help sway your opinion.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I have Formula K18s on my SS, K24s on my RIP9 and Megas on my DH bike. They all rock. For an XC bike I'd go K24 unless you are a WW.

My friends who ride Formula also rave about them.

I have Juicy 5s and 3s on other bikes in the family, and Hayes Comps on my FR hardtail, and they suck by comparison.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    formulas for sure. the oro bianco are on closeout at universalcycle. great brakes

mtbr member
    I used Juicy Ultimate's for awhile until I bought the Formula R1 with carbon grips. Awesome brakes. Very light, powerful and they look sexy as hell.
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon