banned
    Apr 2009

Best source for dot 5.1 or 4 brake fluid.....

I need to bleed both my hopes and avids...just called auto zone in search of dot 5.1 or 4 fluid,they told me they do not carry it.
    If someone can pass on the brand or make of a dot 5.1 or 4 that can be purchased at your local auto supply store let me know
    thx...........
    Last edited by 69ERCAT; 05-26-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Motorcycle Shops

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    people who work at parts stores arent very smart. they definitely have dot 4.

you can pickup dot 4 at damn near any store.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    people who work at parts stores arent very smart. they definitely have dot 4.

you can pickup dot 4 at damn near any store.
    Yep. I use Valvoline Synthetic DOT 4, and that stuff is at every Autozone and many other auto parts outlets. They have other quality brands of DOT 4 brake fluid too.

banned
    Apr 2009
    cool,I'll go with the dot 4

banned
    Autozone lies. DOT 4 is pretty standard now and they carry the Valvoline Synth, like TNC mentioned, which is inexpensive, appears to preserve seals quite well, and offer a decent degree of lubricity. On top of that, it's cheap and offers more heat resistance than many of us will need (the temp ratings don't necessarily go up with DOT #).

If you're set on 5.1, motorcycle shops will carry it, but I personally would recommend sticking with a high performance 4 that's easily available and cheap to bleed yearly. Keeping fresh fluid in there probably has more of an impact than going with 5.1, in terms of performance and longevity of the parts.

Castrol LMA is also a DOT 4 with similar heat ranges as the Valvoline.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Autozone lies. DOT 4 is pretty standard now and they carry the Valvoline Synth, like TNC mentioned, which is inexpensive, appears to preserve seals quite well, and offer a decent degree of lubricity. On top of that, it's cheap and offers more heat resistance than many of us will need (the temp ratings don't necessarily go up with DOT #).

If you're set on 5.1, motorcycle shops will carry it, but I personally would recommend sticking with a high performance 4 that's easily available and cheap to bleed yearly. Keeping fresh fluid in there probably has more of an impact than going with 5.1, in terms of performance and longevity of the parts.

Castrol LMA is also a DOT 4 with similar heat ranges as the Valvoline.
    You can get 5.1 Motul Fluid at any morotcycle shop (as someone mentioned) for $8. I cant remember the exact volume of the container but its close to a quart, enough to last you a long time. When you compare that to the price of the stock Avid fluid youre way ahead. And if I remember, the prices of dot 4 at a regular auto parts store was more or maybe the same price, for a smaller container.

I used Motul in my codes before I sold them, and currently use it in my Juicy 3's I have on my hardtail DJ'er. In fact, I love my new Saints I replaced the codes with, but the shimano oil is expensive enough I kinda wish Shimano used DOT fluid.

So, my suggestion is to grab some Motul from your local morotcycle store.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i pump dot 3 into 4000-5000lbs luxury cars all day long. ive never seen one have problems using standard temperature, nothing special dot 3. i have however, seen 30mm wide heavy steel rotors warp themselves to death from heat with no complaints of fluid boiling.

to rate a fluid "DOT 4", the fluid must meet minimum specifications. its done kind of stupidly, and dot 3 can exceed dot 4, but typically dot 4 will have higher wet/dry boiling points. bottom line, a fluid rated "dot 4" is good fluid.

people (not just cyclists, car "enthusiasts" too) get too worked up about brake fluid. you're not going to notice a difference. valvoline is a good choice because its a quality fluid and its dirt cheap.. its also sold everywhere, so in a pinch you know you can get more, fast.