mtbr member

Best rotors / pads for Avid Juicy 7 brakes?

Hey,

Can someone please advise me on the best rotors / pads for Avid Juicy 7 brakes?

I got some "new" Juicy 7s on eBay and they are coming w/ some Formula rotors.

These to be specific:

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Ok, let me ask this then .... I searched and googled for this, but which rotors came stock w/ the Juicy Sevens?

Never trust a fart
    Juicy 7's came stock with Clean Sweep 2's.

AZ
    banned
    For my purposes , the G2 or G3 rotors with organic pads . YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brake-stuff
    Take a look on my site:
    www.shop.brake-stuff.de
    I don't think spam pads stop all that well, dude.

To the op: Those Formula rotors should be fine with the stock Juicy 7 pads. I run the Clean Sweeps with my Juicy 7s and they can tend to tear up the leading edge of the pads and make noise if the rotor isn't properly centered between the caliper. For me I've found I need to back of the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake lever, and tighten 'em back down to center the caliper every time I remove the front or rear wheel. You can search on here about getting rid of the "turkey warble" sound if you run into it. I had it, it went away, came back, etc. Some claim it's the sharp edge of the stamped vents on the Clean Sweep rotors. A little time with a file clears it up. Just run your rotors and if necessary get some organic pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garagemonkey
    To the op: Those Formula rotors should be fine with the stock Juicy 7 pads. I run the Clean Sweeps with my Juicy 7s and they can tend to tear up the leading edge of the pads and make noise if the rotor isn't properly centered between the caliper. For me I've found I need to back of the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake lever, and tighten 'em back down to center the caliper every time I remove the front or rear wheel. You can search on here about getting rid of the "turkey warble" sound if you run into it. I had it, it went away, came back, etc. Some claim it's the sharp edge of the stamped vents on the Clean Sweep rotors. A little time with a file clears it up. Just run your rotors and if necessary get some organic pads.
    Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I've been using BB7 mech brakes w/ the Clean Sweep rotors and have never had any noise issues. As I'm tightening down the caliper bolts, I very s l o w l y rotate the wheel - I think this helps line everything up.

Tool
    If anything, those drilled rotors should be more trouble-free than the Avid clean sweeps with their poorly stamped vents.

From Universal Cycles' web page describing the Avid rotors:

"G3 SolidSweep rotors are designed to help eliminate resonance/vibration in certain frame/wheel/brake configurations by removing cutouts in the rotor braking surface"

Avid is aware that the cutouts are the root cause of the problems on many bikes. I'm not sure why they don't use a different shape cutout or invest in a laser cutter instead of stamping them.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.