mtbr member
    May 2011

Best pads for Tektro Auriga Pro?

XC only, mostly dry conditions. Any advice for which pads to upgrade to? I've been told that the stock pads are pretty bad, and I have a new bike coming with the Tektro Auriga Pro + stock pads coming in a week.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I am not terribly familiar with Tektro brakes but am with pads in general. I would say when your bike comes in, use it. Break them in correctly and then you be the judge. There are usually two types of pads: sintered and organic. The organic pads aren't as powerful and don't last as long but have more modulation and are generally quieter while the sintered are more powerful, last longer, and generally louder. If you do indeed want to replace the pads after a while, I would suggest replacing with an organic pad since I would guess that sintered pads are on their stock.
    Last edited by mtbnozpikr; 05-28-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was under the impression that sintered are more powerful than organic?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
    I was under the impression that sintered are more powerful than organic?
    Shoot, I wrote that backwards (fixed now). Thanks for catching that.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Rub it............
    Sintered brake pads last longer than organics. And organics are much quieter as well.

But, as noted, the sintered provides a little bit better stopping power.

If you bed the brake pads in correctly, they will work fine. I have many customers that have zero complaints about the Tektro brake systems when used in the XC format.

mtbr member
    As far as i know, all Tektro Hydros us the same pads as the older Shimano Deore M525 (not 535/585/...). I used the Semi-Metallic pads from Disco brakes and they worked well.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
    XC only, mostly dry conditions. Any advice for which pads to upgrade to? I've been told that the stock pads are pretty bad, and I have a new bike coming with the Tektro Auriga Pro + stock pads coming in a week.

Thanks!
    The stock pads on Auriga Pros are pretty good actually. Its the pads on the comps that are on the lower end. Break them in correctly and you will be happy with the results.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    The stock pads on Auriga Pros are pretty good actually. Its the pads on the comps that are on the lower end. Break them in correctly and you will be happy with the results.
    This is good to read....the bike I am looking at has the Tektros Auriga Pro brakes....so far so good!!!!!