mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Best Pads for Avid SD V Brake

I know this question has come up in the past, but I'm wanting to do some upgrades to my bike over the winter..

I can't afford a disc brake set-up on my epic (don't have disc hubs) and I bought the bike before winter and it's got only like 70 miles on it..

I've noticed like many others that the avid rim wrangler (mangler) really kills the wheels (eats the maching out of them), the x223 w/ less than 70 miles looks worse than my road wheels with 3,000 miles..

What's a good replacement pad? I've got the stock SD 3R(all the same except weight) what would you use? Cool stops, ritchey, aztec?

I live in the northeast and there is practically always wet and mud in the woods, not the best canidate for V's. Need something that also works when wet.

Sorry if this topic has been beat to death.....
    Last edited by New2Mountain6; 02-14-2005 at 06:20 PM.

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    I've always used Kool Stops on my SD5s, and they are awesome stoppers. They wear evenly and make little to no noise even when wet. They have okay grip in the wet, but are better than the stock avid pads.

They do generate a TON of brake dust though, and this build-up can be very detrimental to braking performance after a few rides, so be sure to clean it up.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by simian23
    I've always used Kool Stops on my SD5s, and they are awesome stoppers. They wear evenly and make little to no noise even when wet. They have okay grip in the wet, but are better than the stock avid pads.

They do generate a TON of brake dust though, and this build-up can be very detrimental to braking performance after a few rides, so be sure to clean it up.
    Another vote for Kool-Stops, particularly the salmon-colored ones for wet conditions. When I used v's, that's what I used, and I'm also in the northeast.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.