Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best Pads for Avid BB7's

Looking to buy replacement pads for my BB7's. Just wondering what the general consensus is as far as what are the best kind to buy?

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    On a single bike you can use anything you wish pretty much without any problem. If you have lots of weight and/or big long hills genuine sintered metal Avid and EBC sintered (gold) will keep working when the organics have long since faded and heat soaked. Cool thing about mechanicals is that you can actually use the sintered pads and take advantage of their HH rated higher heat capacity without boiling any fluid.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate
    Looking to buy replacement pads for my BB7's. Just wondering what the general consensus is as far as what are the best kind to buy?

Thanks all.
    EBC Gold. I loved the Galfer pads but they are no longer made (can be found on eBay). Both are long wearing and consistent wet or dry. The EBC bites harder. Galfer has better modulation.

Have yet to try an organic pad I like.

Avid brand pads have always been of inconsistent quality. Some are basially water soluble.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Afric Pepperbird
    +1 on sphinctered, err.... sintered.

Organics make a good meal, but not a good pad. IMO.

What could go wrong ...
    +1 for EBC Gold pads
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Short-Change-Hero
    Exactly the thread I was looking for as I just noticed that I could see the pad housing when I pulled on my rear brake. I knew it was getting time for new ones.

My question is, the model BB7s I have are 2006 (I think) and was wondering if they require different pads? And when looking at the EBC/Sintered the Juicy and BB7 take the same pads right?

Looking at these.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Many MTB brake rotors are NON hardened and have the words “Resin pad only” on them. It is critical that when you see this marking that you use a pad similar to EBC Green which is very low in its rotor abrasion features.
    Remember the motto, if in doubt go for EBC green.
    I use Green

I believe BB7 pads are the same as Juicy pads
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hydro front

Low Rep Count
    I just picked up two sets off ebay last week (sintered) and they work great. My BB7's are the older versions as well and the pads plugged right in. Same pads work on the newer ones. What a difference. While I had good stopping power with the stok pads, I always had a squeal. Thank God that is gone! Set up with some Jag Wire compressionless housing. I have a little flex in my levers due to running a light weight cnc lever but all is good and I can still one finger brake.

Pic is of my rear, old BB7 with a few little extra special bolts here and there. Slapped a barrel adjuster in the rear to replace the bolt that was in it when I got them (picked them up used a year ago). Also swapped out the pinch bolts for red alu versions, ti rotor bolts, and caliper mounting bolts as well. (also replaced my slider bolts and rear bolt on hub bolts all with ti as well) Love Toronto cycles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Pads for Avid BB7's-brake-bolts.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here is my list of BB7 pads that I have ridden in the dry SoCal desert. They are ranked from my favorite to least favorite. I run Cleansweep X rotors.
    1. EBC Green (organic).Soft and quiet feel. They look slightly thicker than the Avid organic and seem to last a little longer. Also cheaper than the Avids.
    2. Avid Organic(Silver backing). Soft and quiet feel, but they don't last long.
    3. Avid Sintered(Gold backing). Harder feel and quite a bit more noise. I put these on in wet conditions.

Short-Change-Hero
    Are these the sintered pads that you are all talking about? Figured this was not a bad deal seeing as you get 10 sets?!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/SINTERED-DISC-PA...4#ht_500wt_922

Oh and dont know if it matters but I run these with Shimano LX RT-66 (i think) 160mm centerlock rotors.
    Last edited by gregnash; 05-23-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Low Rep Count
    This is basically what I bought. So far, I have had no problems with them. They had a little squeal when first installed and rolling around the block but once out on the trail, I heard nothing.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/F1-Avid-Juicy-7-...#ht_720wt_1141

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've had BB7's for two years now and on three different bikes (my ht, my gf's fs, and my beater SS) and could never get the stock pads to NOT squeak. finally put some alligator organics in my gf's bike because she kept complaining and asked to go back to vbrake. The alligator organics are softer but pretty much silent. don't know how long they'll last though

Short-Change-Hero
    Ended up picking up a pair of the F1 Sintered like 1SPD posted, cant go wrong for $13 shipped. Hopefully will have them tomorrow.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Low Rep Count
    Rode mine in the wet/muck on Tuesday. They were loud as F#$%! But once they got the water off them, they went silent again. I was quite surprised at first as the squeal was louder than ever before and I sware it sounded like a horn! But that mellowed out pretty quickly and went back to normal. While they were wet, I did not feel like they were slowing me down too much. Then again, I was in a bunch of roots, mud, tech sections to where I needed to slow down but could not just jam on the brakes either because I was sliding all over the place.

Yesterday, I was out again and hit a few creek crossings here and there, heard the squeal, and then it was gone. They worked much better! Quite happy at this point.

As stated, cost me about $26 for both sets. Can't complain.

Short-Change-Hero
    Cool... Depending on what I ride there are some places where they can get wet. Most of the time, the trails I ride are dry with little to no water anywhere (even Creek Trail we have bridges that cross a good distance above the creek) so the chance of them getting wet is slim. Most of the time they will just get dusty. Glad to hear that you are happy with them. Sintered are full metallic correct?

Seems like there are three types of pads:
    1. Organic (green back plate) which are good for dry conditions, super quiet and have decent bite and pad life
    2. Semi-Metallic (red/silver back plate) good for all around conditions, not quite as quiet as Organics but have longer pad life and not too loud
    3. Sintered/Metallic (gold back plate) good for all around conditions and especially wet, can be super loud but will have best pad life out of all

That sound about right? Guess I could see using Organics in the summer/fall here in the High Desert, and then switching to Semi or Sintered rest of the year.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Low Rep Count
    I was under the impression that they were full metallic. BTW, I rode again today (9.5 miles) and they worked great. Well, I had to make a cable adjustment but other than that, the pads did great. No squealing even after going through a couple creek crossings. Quite happy at this point.

Short-Change-Hero
    I should hopefully get them tomorrow. Sucks not being able to ride right now with some decent weather today (yesterday SUCKED weather wise). I am hoping that I can do a little cleaning too when I pull the old pads out as it seems the outboard piston is sticking a little when activated.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok kinda pissed now, still don't have my pads from Bikefridge when shipping said I would have them either yesterday or today. At this rate should have just gone to my LBS and picked something up. Now a week AND WEEKEND of riding wasted...
    /rant
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Ok kinda pissed now, still don't have my pads from Bikefridge when shipping said I would have them either yesterday or today. At this rate should have just gone to my LBS and picked something up. Now a week AND WEEKEND of riding wasted...
    /rant
    Thats why the spare parts box has a spare set of pads, a new tube, maybe a tyre and a chain or quick link in it. Old cables can be saved and used in an emergancy.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Short-Change-Hero
    ^^ Yeah I know.. I am starting to acquire stuff for the "parts bin" for just suck situation. Since this is my very first bike I did not have much to go on. Guess that will teach me... will definitely be buying stuff local, even if it saves me $10.

Wouldn't have been so pissed if they just sent some tracking information. I then could have seen that they weren't going to be here in time and just popped in to my LBS and grabbed a set and been done with it. They got a nasty gram from me, as all their auctions have an advertisement on it that proclaims "24hr Dispatch" no waiting for processing and shipping days later, or some BS like that. Will just be going to my LBS on Monday to grab a set of pads it looks like.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

^^ Yeah I know.. I am starting to acquire stuff for the "parts bin" for just suck situation. Since this is my very first bike I did not have much to go on. Guess that will teach me... will definitely be buying stuff local, even if it saves me $10.

Wouldn't have been so pissed if they just sent some tracking information. I then could have seen that they weren't going to be here in time and just popped in to my LBS and grabbed a set and been done with it. They got a nasty gram from me, as all their auctions have an advertisement on it that proclaims "24hr Dispatch" no waiting for processing and shipping days later, or some BS like that. Will just be going to my LBS on Monday to grab a set of pads it looks like.
    They state shipping is via USPS First Class mail. i.e. No tracking.

=========================================
    Voice in America for On-One Bikes and Titus Cycles
    on-one.co.uk titusti.com
    mtbtires.com

Short-Change-Hero
    Which is a complete lie because when you do first class shipping you get a tracking number. What I am more pissed about is that they state "24hr dispatch" which without any explanation means that they will processes and send ASAP, not two days later. Again, the vague shipping dates, receiving an email the next day that states "your items have been dispatched yesterday" and all of this just makes for a pissed off customer when you dont get something in a generally stated amount of time. But like I said, that was my fault for purchasing something online when I knew that there was a holiday weekend coming and mail wouldnt be delivered. I had hoped they would be consistent with what they stated on the auction but I was wrong. Again, teaches me to save a buck and from now on I will just buy locally.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Which is a complete lie because when you do first class shipping you get a tracking number. What I am more pissed about is that they state "24hr dispatch" which without any explanation means that they will processes and send ASAP, not two days later. Again, the vague shipping dates, receiving an email the next day that states "your items have been dispatched yesterday" and all of this just makes for a pissed off customer when you dont get something in a generally stated amount of time. But like I said, that was my fault for purchasing something online when I knew that there was a holiday weekend coming and mail wouldnt be delivered. I had hoped they would be consistent with what they stated on the auction but I was wrong. Again, teaches me to save a buck and from now on I will just buy locally.
    There is no tracking for first class mail. None.

There is (sort of) for Priority and Express, but they only state that shipping info has been received and when delivery has been made. On progress reports.

24 hour dispatch just means they give the package to the post office within a day. Then normal mail delivery time.

Best to keep a spare set of pads on hand.
    mtbtires.com

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah went and purchased a new set this afternoon. Been "trying" to work things out with them but feel that why show any dates or say anything like that, that will lead the customer to false expectations. Sorry, I don't tell my customers I am going to get them something by a date without something to back it and ensuring that I can hit that date. Yeah stuff comes up, but at this rate I will have the pads more than a week after their "Expected" delivery date. Guess this serves as a warning to the community to not believe their dates unless you get a tracking number (and it must have been priority or express because I got a progress report each time it hit a depot).

To their benefit, they have been trying to work things out with me and trying to figure out what happened. I, falsely, bought from them on the premise that their expected delivery date was correct and would have just spent the $20+ locally had I known that their shipped expectations were only based on the given current date and the premise that you purchase that day with enough time for them to receive immediate notification from PayPal on the shipping. Just an all around sucky situation, my fault just as much as theirs and they are being a good company by attempting to work thing out.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast