mtbr member

Best Pad/Rotor Clearance

I was just curious to find out what hydraulic disc brakes have the most clearance between the brake rotor and the pads.
    What about the Shimano XT brakes with the servowave, does that allow more rotor clearance between the pads?
    Any help is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    No one can help?

mtbr member
    hey,
    im not an expert but i think that rotor clearence is an unimportant concept, all that is needed is for your calipers/pads to not rub the rotor as the wheel spins...

i ride hayes and they rub minimally and my stopping power is still great...

if this isnt of any help, maybe you can try to clarify why rotor clearence is so important for you..

thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    hey,
    im not an expert but i think that rotor clearence is an unimportant concept, all that is needed is for your calipers/pads to not rub the rotor as the wheel spins...

i ride hayes and they rub minimally and my stopping power is still great...

if this isnt of any help, maybe you can try to clarify why rotor clearence is so important for you..

thanks.
    You're right, generally the rotor clearance is unimportant, but my bike's rear end flexes just a little bit and causes the rotor to move a little and it rubs. Being that I have BB7's I adjust the pads a little further out. From what I have seen with hydros is that the pad is very close to the rotor. So there's my reasoning. Maybe that will make a little more sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm with Duncun, I wish there was more clearance. If your rotor is even 1/2mm out it will rub making it very annoying. Was at a bike shop, brand new Elixer on Canondale Scapel was discussing issue with manager, and he says Elixers have no problem, sure enough he spins up the wheel, and I'm like, yeah, hear that???

Its minor, but annoying.
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

mtbr member
    i ride stroker trails, and if youre getting flex, i wouldnt recommend using them, they are like 1-2mm from the rotor at the most....mine are very close, so much so that every few rides they start to wisp against the pads, and i have to readjust my qr's to match.

on the other hand though, they are awesome brakes, i went from avid arch rivals to my strokers and i am sooo happy with the difference in power, and modulation. in addition ive ridden bb7s a few times and i feel like my hydros are far better for stopping consistantly without throwing me over the bars...

ask others about the brakes they ride, ive been on vees, and hayes... i hear formula ones are sweet but might have the same problem...

idk.. can someone with more experiance than me help these guys please??

I like to ride my bike.
    I find the very small gap on all brakes very annoying. It is what they have to do to get brakes to feel powerful and work well.

I can spend hours trying to get a brake not to rub. The rotor may be 90% true, won't rub at all when the bike is on the stand, but when I sit on the bike, the fork / wheel / frame flex causes some rub.

I think Shimano brakes are known to have the best clearance though. Hayes and Avid have very little.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

My other ride is your mom
    I don't agree that rotor clearance is not an issue. As someone who was constantly adjusting my Juicy 7's due to rub every couple of rides, I realized that rotor clearance is a HUGE issue once I bought a new bike which came with SLX. I've had the new bike for 2 months now and have yet to have to adjust them for brake rub.

Bottom Line.....SLX or other shimano hydros have much more clearance than Juicy's....Hayes seems to have a fair amount of clearance as well. And this does matter.

CUSTOM AUDIO INSTALLS
    my Stroker Ace's went on last night and there is BARELY a business-card's worth of space on each side. After an hour of adjusting, it still hits slightly but i don't have the patience to mess with it anymore before leaving for yosemite tomorrow. Its so minimal, i'll just have to deal with it. At least it doesn't sqeak
    I'm a Republican because not everyone can be on welfare.