mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best pad material for stopping power ?

I have a set of Hope Mono 4's (200 / 180 sintered pads) and am not quite happy with the stopping power . What material offers better power ? Here is a list of choices from one brake vendor. Thanx :

Compound S: Medium
    Containing metal & graphite for long wear. Great for muddy conditions, & a good choice in all conditions. Consistent in the wet.

Compound C: Ceramic Black
    These organic ceramic fiber disc brake pads are sintered and carbonized. The ceramic compound insulates the brake system from friction heat up to 400oC. The result is a disc brake pad that will keep working in any weather condition, with low noise & a very long wear time.

Compound D: Ceramic Red
    This is the highest density, hardest wearing ceramic compound for the ultimate longest life in any conditions. Triple the lifetime of ordinary resin pads!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Which is the vendor?

The descriptions always sound nice, but it will be easier if you say which brand you are looking at..... those sound like EBC pads...

Is flexy
    They don't sound like EBC since the EBC reds are soft and don't last long which is the opposite of what he is saying.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    They don't sound like EBC since the EBC reds are soft and don't last long which is the opposite of what he is saying.
    I wasn't going by color match (there is no gold on his description), I was just making an analogy to the 3 compound offer....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No name ebay vendor. I don't think the vendor should entirely matter , the material composition is in question. Maybe the question should be does a hard or soft wearing material offer better stopping power ?

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    No name ebay vendor. I don't think the vendor should entirely matter , the material composition is in question. Maybe the question should be does a hard or soft wearing material offer better stopping power ?

Yes, I understand... what I mean is that the vendors usually use "super nice descriptions" while the compounds vary little... I wanted to know the vendor so that people might help with actual experiences they have had.

Here's the summary:

Organic pads = less power, more modulation, less noise, shorter life

Metallic/Sintered pads = more power, a bit less modulation, a bit more noise, long life

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Yes, I understand... what I mean is that the vendors usually use "super nice descriptions" while the compounds vary little... I wanted to know the vendor so that people might help with actual experiences they have had.

Here's the summary:

Organic pads = less power, more modulation, less noise, shorter life

Metallic/Sintered pads = more power, a bit less modulation, a bit more noise, long life
    If that's the case the Hope sintered are probably offering the best power. I think the Hopes are of high quality but the outright power is marginal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There isn't a perfect pad.

Generally softer pads (resin) are grippier initially, but loose bite after prolonged braking.
    Harder pads, initially may squeel and feel weaker, but they will excel once things get heated up.

It's always a trade off.

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    If that's the case the Hope sintered are probably offering the best power. I think the Hopes are of high quality but the outright power is marginal.
    Yeah..the sintered ones should give more bite once the system is warm.... maybe your pads are glazed, you could try sanding and burning them in again... that could help..