i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006

Best Mechanical Levers

Well, like the title says, I'm looking for some new levers. My current brake system is a set of BB7's with Speed Dial 7 levers. I love the BB7's, but the levers really are trash. I've also used Sram 9.0 levers, and they weren't awful, but they also weren't the best. My search leads me to Paul levers or new XTR. To the guys who have Paul or XTR levers, how well do you like them?

Former Bike Wrench
    If money is no object, the Avid Speed Dial Ultimates are about the nicest lever I ever used with V-brakes. Never tried them on mechanicals (used SD7 levers with my Avid brakes), but the feel and stiffness of them was untouched...even by XTR brake levers.

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    $240 is a little too high. I'll have to check QBP and see what cost is on them, though.

neutiquam erro
    I love the Paul Love Levers (have 'em on 2 bike with BB7s), but it seems people either love 'em or hate 'em. No real adjustability, but that's fine by me. They are extremely well-crafted and gorgeous.

IIRC, DangerBoy also makes some nice looking mech levers.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmynameisdan
    Well, like the title says, I'm looking for some new levers. My current brake system is a set of BB7's with Speed Dial 7 levers. I love the BB7's, but the levers really are trash. I've also used Sram 9.0 levers, and they weren't awful, but they also weren't the best. My search leads me to Paul levers or new XTR. To the guys who have Paul or XTR levers, how well do you like them?
    the dangerboys look pretty nice (I haven't used 'em tho), but I really love my old avid ultimates (both canti & v-brake versions).
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Harrumph
    +1 for the Paul's. I like Shimano's levers too, you can find a nice set of XTR V levers for pretty cheap. Just don't use any XT levers that have the "servo wave" crap, it makes for a crappy disc feel.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

ups and downs
    The Avid Ultimates have none of the wobbliness and sloppiness of most V-brake levers, they are very smooth, nicely machined and fairly light. I've had a pair on my hardtail for about 6 years and they're just as solid feeling as they were when they were new. Not so for some of the SD-2 levers I have on other bikes, they definitely get sloppier as they get on in years (but then don't we all).

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Paul Love Levers, so long as you don't care about not using the SpeedDial feature. I never missed it, enseveral years with several BB7/Paul setups.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper