Neg reppers r my biatches

Best Light V-brakes

For a race bike I am building, I am ready to buy brakes. I am going with v-brakes for this bike.

Which brakes are still light (XTR or Avid Ti light) but DO NOT sacrifice braking power. I want the bike to be light but not at the expense of braking performance.

I was thinking the Avid Ti brakes or perhaps XTR. Also, what levers would you go with to keep the bike light but performing well.

In case it matters, I will be going with SRAM X.0 shifters.

Thanks so much in advance.

Cheers

To legit to quit

avid vs shimano

the avid ti's are half the weight and cost of xtr both the brakes and levers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    the avid ti's are half the weight and cost of xtr both the brakes and levers.
    Thanks Dan...I have actually changed my mind in regards to brakes and have sold off my rim brake wheelset for my project bike and will be replacing it with a disc set soon.

Had I gone with brakes I would have definitely gone with Avid.....the actual turning point was last week when I rode my friend's new Truth with full XTR, to include XTR v-brakes.
    Man...I hated the ride when we switched for a long downhill....I could not believe how crappy it felt.....Maybe they were not setup right or maybe I am just too used to disc brakes on my other bikes or maybe Avids would have felt a lot better but after that ride, I realized there was no way I could do v-brakes for the sake of a few grams.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Wink Smart Man

I hate V's at this point. I wouldn't put them on anything. I'd go with some Hope Mono Minis. I go rid of my old bike cause I wanted to go with some discs. The avid mechanical seems to also be favoired by the gram counters out there but I'd rather have a true hydralic although the Avids Mechanicals are better than V's. With that being said mabey the jucy sevens?

You bet

Quote Originally Posted by Big JuJu
    I hate V's at this point. I wouldn't put them on anything. I'd go with some Hope Mono Minis. I go rid of my old bike cause I wanted to go with some discs. The avid mechanical seems to also be favoired by the gram counters out there but I'd rather have a true hydralic although the Avids Mechanicals are better than V's. With that being said mabey the jucy sevens?
    Well, since I completely turned around the topic of my original post.....I'll continue on in that opposite direction.

Though I dumped the v-brake concept, I am trying to stick to my original weight-weenie objective and will be getting light disc brakes. Now, instead of a silly light and fragile bike built around a Ti hardtail (not that the frame would be fragile though), I am trying to make this full suspension XC bike at or under 24 lbs which is as light as humanly possible I think for me. This is because I am no longer considering the girly-manish SID, v-brakes, and ridiculous Race X Lite wheels to go on the Ti hardtail. I also refuse to pay the extra coin for the XTR cassette which is pretty much the only place I could theoretically save weight without compromising my riding style.

I will be getting Marta SLs for this new project which I believe are now the lightest "stock" disc brakes you can get, since the Formula B4 SLs are no longer made in 2004 and have been replaced I believe by the B4 Pro Plus.....for better reliability and a tad more weight.

Cheers

To legit to quit

... and if we just ... brakes

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Thanks Dan...I have actually changed my mind in regards to brakes and have sold off my rim brake wheelset for my project bike and will be replacing it with a disc set soon.

Had I gone with brakes I would have definitely gone with Avid.....the actual turning point was last week when I rode my friend's new Truth with full XTR, to include XTR v-brakes.
    Man...I hated the ride when we switched for a long downhill....I could not believe how crappy it felt.....Maybe they were not setup right or maybe I am just too used to disc brakes on my other bikes or maybe Avids would have felt a lot better but after that ride, I realized there was no way I could do v-brakes for the sake of a few grams.

Cheers
    yeah the paul motolites with the paul leavers are like 30 grams lighter than the avid sd-ti's with the matching levers. i'd love to save the cash on the avids but the pauls are just to cool. i'm gonna run the pauls with cool stop pads(which i need to look into still) and just be done with the brakes. after i get the brakes and upgrade my front deraileur i'm gonna invest in some nokon housing. my buddy had some pauls with carumba rollers and nokon iwth xtr cables and it was so smooth, i really liked the feel of that setup so i'm gonna copy him.

Avid Ultimates

Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    yeah the paul motolites with the paul leavers are like 30 grams lighter than the avid sd-ti's with the matching levers. i'd love to save the cash on the avids but the pauls are just to cool. i'm gonna run the pauls with cool stop pads(which i need to look into still) and just be done with the brakes. after i get the brakes and upgrade my front deraileur i'm gonna invest in some nokon housing. my buddy had some pauls with carumba rollers and nokon iwth xtr cables and it was so smooth, i really liked the feel of that setup so i'm gonna copy him.
    Personally, based on a lot of good input to posts I placed in the past couple of weeks when i was considering v-brakes, it sounds like Avid Ultimates are the way to go. Had I stuck with the v-brake route I would have definitely gone this way. They are not cheap but then neither are Pauls'

To legit to quit

ultimates and pauls

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Personally, based on a lot of good input to posts I placed in the past couple of weeks when i was considering v-brakes, it sounds like Avid Ultimates are the way to go. Had I stuck with the v-brake route I would have definitely gone this way. They are not cheap but then neither are Pauls'
    i just like the pauls, not only are they lite but i like they way they feel. as of now i'm gonna go with the setup i mentioned before but i might go with some ultimates if i can get them in red. i think the pauls add a nice old school flavor to my bike, not only is it light and funtional but it looks killer as well.

ballbuster

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Big JuJu
    The avid mechanical seems to also be favoired by the gram counters out there...
    I'd have to disagree with that. Avid Mechs are pretty dang portly. By switching to Magura Claras (and those aren't the lightest either) I shaved 2/3 of a pound off my bike, and the Avids have lighter rotors.

That said, Avids perform well, are easy to tweak and are pretty dang cheap.

To legit to quit

magura claras

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I'd have to disagree with that. Avid Mechs are pretty dang portly. By switching to Magura Claras (and those aren't the lightest either) I shaved 2/3 of a pound off my bike, and the Avids have lighter rotors.

That said, Avids perform well, are easy to tweak and are pretty dang cheap.
    what do you think of them? i have a set that came on my k2 brass monkey and i'm not sure what i want to do with them. i'd like to switch to something else but from what i hear everyone hates the claras. i don't hate them but i don't like the plastic levers enough to justify keeping them.