mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Best HOPE TECH brakeset for trail/am

Which one is the best for trail/am? Please include the best roto for it. There are concerns also regaring the rotor fit on some hubs? My hubs are pro 2 evo 20mm front 12x142 rear

hope tech evo x2?hope tech evo m4?hope tech evo v2?

Sup
    I like the m4's the best
    have the x2's and m4s and think the m4's have better modulation
    I run formula rotors

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    I'm really digging the M4's. Some people have problems with the floating rotors being a bit wider and rubbing on some forks. I haven't heard any trouble when using Hope hubs.

Some might even say that the V2 is the way to go, but I have never tried them. I have been on the old M4's and the new M4's for 10 years and love them.

MTBR Member
    Tech M4 EVO with fixed rotors. I've found that the fixed rotors seem to take hits better, so I opt for those instead of the floaters these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What is fixed rotor?is that a term or the exact name of the rotor?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    What is fixed rotor?is that a term or the exact name of the rotor?
    I think they mean a 1 piece rotor. The floating rotors are like a rotor attached to a spider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks.is the term "evo" a newer model line for hopes? Was it just hope tech x2,m4 and v2 before?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The evo is regards to the newer tech levers. They changed the pivot angle to increase power by 15%. I run the tech evo V2's which are just the best in any situation, loads of modulation and endless power. They have their own dedicated rotors due to piston size, so the floating spider is smaller and you can also get a vented rotor for ultimate performance. THE best brakes ever.

mtbr member
    The V2s are better than the m4 and almost the exact same weight. The V2 is a great brake but the m4 is no slouch. Get the V2s. Get the 2 piece rotor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Looking at getting some Tech X2s for my daughter's bike. Can I do a top-down bleed on these or do I really need to get the Hope bleed kit. I'm sure I'll have to be shortening the lines, so I will need a bleed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No kit needed. I just use a clear tube over the nipple at the calliper end which leads into a bottle to catch the fluid, pour the fluid in the lever end. I leave in some old pads then use a screw driver to wedge apart at the end. This works better than a friend who has the proper kit.

mtbr member
    go for hope evo x2 with fixed rotors

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ruscle View Post
    No kit needed. I just use a clear tube over the nipple at the calliper end which leads into a bottle to catch the fluid, pour the fluid in the lever end. I leave in some old pads then use a screw driver to wedge apart at the end. This works better than a friend who has the proper kit.
    OK, good. That's what I figured, but ya never know...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just switched from Elixir CRs to Evo X2s with the 7" floating rotors on my Tracer 2 and I'm very happy with them. Was a bit worried that the X2 wouldn't be powerful enough up front on steep terrain but I'm not finding that to be the case. They have excellent modulation, smooth feel, plenty of power and no perceptible fade on the descents around here (pretty short but steep and techy). And best of all, they're QUIET, which is a welcome change from the accursed Avid turkey gobble.