mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Best/efficient way to upgrade brakes

I'm looking to upgrade my brakes from the stock SRAM BB5 to smoother hydrolic brakes. What are my best options without breaking the bank? Do I have to buy everything (levers, calipers, cables, etc) to switch to hydrolic or just certain parts. Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    May 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes you have to purchase everything levers, calipers cables but luckily most brakes come as a set with everything included. If you go with the BB7 then all you need are the calipers and can upgrade the rest later. but I dont know if you should upgrade the rest as well or at least replace the cables. Somebody with mech disk xp want to chime in. and what do you consider braking the bank?

mtbr member
    I bought Avid Elixir R's on ebay...new take offs. I had to buy the front and rear separate to get the best deal, but I used my original rotors and was able to get each brake shipped for $70 each. So I was in for about $150 to upgrade....worth it.

I always bleed like this.
    Work ebay. Look through all the brake options and don't be in a rush. Take what is available and don't go getting in a bid war. I just picked up a new set, (front only, levers, hose and calipers) Formula K24 for a song. I did the same with a Hayes Stroker Ryde, $10.00, $16 total with shipping, brand new. These were both front brakes but if you are willing to buy some hose, jenson has enough for the front and rear for $14, you could outfit your bike for well under $100.

Point is, if I planned on using them on the same bike, I would put the k24 on the front, the hayes on the back, (where you don't need super power) and be well under $100. If you don't want to mismatch, spend a little extra. I bet you could get top of the line two year old brakes, front and rear, for $100 if you are willing to resize the hose. You will need a bleed kit, get one of the $15 kits off of ebay or make your own, (not hard if you have the tools) and you are set.

If you are willing to be patient and you are ok with what was great two years ago or what is OK today, you can upgrade your brakes for cheap.