Forked!

New question here. Best Discs for compromise of...

cost, performance and weight. I'm building up a HT XC bike and want to save some weight, but I think I'm going to want to stick with disc since it's what I've been on for the last 4 years. Any recommendations on the discs to buy? Thanks!
    [SIZE=1]Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.[/SIZE]

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMtnRider
    cost, performance and weight. I'm building up a HT XC bike and want to save some weight, but I think I'm going to want to stick with disc since it's what I've been on for the last 4 years. Any recommendations on the discs to buy? Thanks!
    Undoubtedly hayes mags. They are not super expensive, they are not real heavy, and they work very well.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And on the mechanical side Avids. I use both and in some ways I prefer the Avids because one can adjust the feel of the brakes and where in the lever throw the brakes engage.

Forked!

Thanks!

How about Hope or Formula B4's? Worth the money for what I'm looking for in compromise? I know V-Braks would be the way to go for weight, but I've been on a friends Ellsworth Sub-22 for the last 2 weeks with V-brakes. I really miss the disc feel and thin I would have a hard time going back to V's full time on a new bike.
    [SIZE=1]Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.[/SIZE]

mtbr member

I like my hope mini mono's very much!
    they work terrific and look terrifc. I've used Hayes (good brake) Avid mech (good too but kinda maintanence intensive) Magura Louise FR (good while they worked) Shimano XT 4- piston (good brake if dialed in). My Hopes have been drag free and powerful (180 f/160rr) and
    the modulation is tops! These are not that expensive either.

mtbr member

Idea! how about disk front and v-brake rear?

building up a new bike i faced with very much the same dillema. after some research and forum discussion i ended up building it with Marta front (SL rotor) and Avid v-brake rear + XT lever. so far i'm very delighted. both in terms of weight, price, and performance.

but note(!), both wheels are build on disks hubs so that in winter (muddy, snowy conditions) i can easily switch the rear brake to disk as well. just me point of view.

Forked!

Seen it, but never understood...

...the Disc-V combo. I'm sure this could be a seperate thread (and prob is already), but how/why is tat a good combo? When I have seen it, the disc has always been front with V rear. It seemed to me the power brake should be on the rear. Any easy answer to this or should I search for the other threads (or start one)?

A wheelist
    It seemed to me the power brake should be on the rear.
    You haven't studied braking of a moving vehicle too much. When brakes are applied to ANY moving vehicle, the weight of that vehicle is transferred forward onto its front wheels. Ever see the front end of a car or motorbike dive under heavy braking? Ever wonder why the disc on the front on a hi-perf motorcycle is way bigger than the rear? Ever wonder why some motorbikes have TWO discs on the front?

Because of this weight shift we need more braking on the front. More braking on the rear (or more use of the rear brake) leads to people acting like Skidiots.

There is really only one good reason for having a rim brake on the rear and that is "my bike doesn't have a rear disc mount". Think of ALL the good reasons for disc brakes (they're all in our FAQ at the top right of this forum). With a rim brake on the rear, these good reasons only apply to your braking system.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 04-02-2004 at 01:47 PM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Forked!

You're correct

I never really tought about the braking of any vehicle, but I must say that those were some good examples that explained it perfectly. Thanks, and I guess I do need to read the FAQ posted up there. Now to just decide on the discs to buy. Thanks again.