mtbr member
    Mar 2013

best disc upgrade for girlfriend's bike (Hayes Stroker Trail? on-sale at Pricepoint)

Hello all,

I bought my gf a Cannondale Trail 6 last year and the Tektro mech brakes really stink on there, I cannot get the rear brake to stop squealing and it is turning her off.

I was looking at options to upgrade her and my top 2 priorities are:

1) quiet
    2) modulation

I don't want anything so powerful or on/off that she will be nervous (I am attempting to get her into more serious mountain biking).

My options as I see it are:

1) Hayes Stroker Trail Hydro disc brakes - on sale til Monday for $59/each + $14 per Hayes rotor. These seem to have good reviews and not too many complaints about noise and good modulation.

Hayes Stroker Trail Disc Brake | Hayes | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

2) Avid BB7's - These mechanical disc's seemed to be highly rated but are at same price as Stroker trails, but do not include levers, and not sure if squeaking is due to tektro rotors being cheaper.

3) Wait and slowly give her my Avid Elixer 1's from my brand new Trek Stache and buy myself SLX's. I can't afford to buy myself both front and rear SLX brakes now, but I could give her my rear brake and spend $129 on the SLX brakes. I actually don't mind the Elixer 1's so far but see tons of threads on Avids being noisy/fussy so maybe I should just keep them on my bike for now and do option 1 or 2.

4) Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    I bought my girlfriend a set of those a few years back for her Diamondback Lux. Been pretty solid for her but she likes to ride the brakes down the hills and doesn't charge at all. Power is more than enough for her and feels decent to me just cruising it down the hills around my house. Modulation is good and they are quite, much more so than my avid codes, but that isn't hard to do. For the price, they couldn't be beat and my girlfriend was extremely happy with the upgraded brakes seeing as that she is on them so often. They have also been 100% reliable. Again, I cant say the same about my codes.

Edit, sorry I was referring to the Hayes Stroker Trails.

mtbr member
    I purchased 2 setups for my fat bike build last year for $74 each (and felt that was a sweet deal) however i paired them with magura storm sl 160 rotors and try as i might the turkey warble was present after pad break in. I tried organic pads, a new set of OEM pads thinking perhaps my break-in was inadequate but to no avail they squealed like a pig. My final attempt at eliminating the squeal was to replace the magura rotors with not only larger (185's) but avid clean sweep and to this day not so much as a wimper of noise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've had a few short rides on the Hayes Stroker Trail and like them, they've come a long way from on/off no modulation brakes of the past. The only thing I didn't like about them was the lever shape, but that's a personal preference thing and I've been using Shimano levers for 20 years so everything else feels wrong. Power is nice, modulation feels good, and the reach adjust is nicely integrated into the system and doesn't get in the way or look added on. At that price, Stroker Trails for me, no question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    cool thanks all, I went ahead and purchased these for front and rear in white (to match her bike, of course!) as the deal was too good to pass up. I will let you all know how they perform. I already have a small steep hill picked out for the lengthy and painful break in process (since I don't trust her to properly break them in since she is a brake dragger lol).