Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25

    New question here. Best choice under $ 350

    I need a new brakeset, and after read a lot of negative reviews about Sram XX I decided to change my opinion and choose a new brakeset.

    What do you recommend me under $350 (pair)? It will be used on a Cannondale Carbon Team bike.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: anthonylokrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    925
    Many people will probably recommend Formula brakes since they do spec it quite often on high-end/boutique factory builds. Read that they are very strong and lightweight, but also read that they could be a hit or miss in reliability.

    On personal experience, I'd recommend the Hope Tech brakeset. There is also the Hope Race brakeset for lighter weight, but you give up the bite-point adjustment and the on-the-fly reach adjustment.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

  3. #3
    74 & 29 pilot
    Reputation: MTB Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparklle View Post
    I need a new brakeset, and after read a lot of negative reviews about Sram XX I decided to change my opinion and choose a new brakeset.

    What do you recommend me under $350 (pair)? It will be used on a Cannondale Carbon Team bike.
    XTRs are on sale at Price Point for $199.96. $399.98 for a pair is a GREAT investment.

    MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    I really like my Magura Marta Magnesium SL's. Since the MT line came out the price has really come down and is now available at Huck n Roll for $325 for a pair. Magura USA Marta SL Magnesium Hydraulic Disc Brake Caliper Set*from Hucknroll.com
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mestapho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,515
    XT's with ice tech rotors.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    517

    Not So Fast! Oh Contraire.

    I have had k24's and One's and I have had no reliability issues. My friends who ride Formula's love them. Reliability issues with most brakes have more to do with riders who fancy themselves mechanics and who can't/don't read directions.
    Formula brakes are awesome brakes. They have saved me so many times.
    Cheers,

    Kane



    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Many people will probably recommend Formula brakes since they do spec it quite often on high-end/boutique factory builds. Read that they are very strong and lightweight, but also read that they could be a hit or miss in reliability.

    On personal experience, I'd recommend the Hope Tech brakeset. There is also the Hope Race brakeset for lighter weight, but you give up the bite-point adjustment and the on-the-fly reach adjustment.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr View Post
    I really like my Magura Marta Magnesium SL's. Since the MT line came out the price has really come down and is now available at Huck n Roll for $325 for a pair.
    Nice

    Anyone kwnow how lenght is the hoses of this breakset? I need a minimum of 1600mm (for the rear) for this L frame.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparklle View Post
    Nice

    Anyone kwnow how lenght is the hoses of this breakset? I need a minimum of 1600mm (for the rear) for this L frame.
    I don't remember the exact length but Mine are on an XL frame. I think you're good.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for all replies.

    I decided to buy a pair of Magura Marta SL Mag for $324. Special thanks for mtbnozpikr for the tip.

    I hope I did a good deal.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparklle View Post
    Thanks for all replies.

    I decided to buy a pair of Magura Marta SL Mag for $324. Special thanks for mtbnozpikr for the tip.

    I hope I did a good deal.
    Glad I could help. Quite frankly I'm a bit jealous because I bought them when they first came out (waited six months for them to arrive on this side of the Atlantic) and paid a significantly more. Have fun!
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •