Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Best choice <$200

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade from Tektro Novela to something better and very importantly less screetchy. I ride mostly XC on a 29er, and am limited to a 160mm front rotor.

I asked in the Beginner forum and was advised to get either Shimano M666s from blueskycycling.com, which comes to $250 with tax & shipping, or Avid BB7s.

Does anyone have any other advice on what to get & where? Thanks!

b a n n e d
    Lots of folks really like the BB7's . . . never used them personally, but plenty of people really like them here.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Shimano SLX as you were recommended (either the 666 or 665) are great brakes for the money. I use the 665's and I am very happy with them. You can get them a little cheaper on auction. The only other brake you might want to consider are Formula RX. You might be able to score a pair for $250 if you look hard enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    New Deore 596 brakes are on par with old 2008/2010 XTs on weight, modulation and strenght.

I've got two pairs and they have the best budget-performance ratio of all other parts on my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Any suggestions where to find the 596s? I know blueskycycling has 666s for $109 per wheel or 665s for $99.
    Thanks for all the advice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I couldn't find a brake set, but i found a front and rear separate.

For front :
    Shimano Deore Disc Brake M596 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

For rear:
    Shimano BR-596 w/ Lever, Rear, No Rotor: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

Zero Miles from Myself
    Magura Louise w/out Bat $89 / with Bat $109 per wheel at Price Point - even less on ebay. This is going to be a great bang for the buck and truly amazing brakes. Modulation is awesome - they are not just on/off stoppers like a lot of entry level hydros ... and they stop really well too. Bats are somewhat better because you can dial in the feel on the fly - check the red knob on the lever. Also no break fluid to ruin paint on other parts ... Magura uses mineral oil.

Maguras are a "best kept secret" value in brakes. Just look at the average or less ratings for the Avid Elixir line - then look at Magura Louise.

Check out the 2nd review at this link:
    Magura Louise Disc Brake System Reviews

Magura Louise Brake 2011 at Price Point

Magura Louise Alloy Bat Brake 2011 at Price Point
    Last edited by mrm1; 02-23-2012 at 02:33 AM.

Michigan Wolverine
    I know the BB7's are really popular and are supposed to be competitive with some hydraulic disks, but with the simplicity and lower price of mechanical disks. I'm going to be buying a pair myself in the near future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I pulled off juicy 7 and put BB7's on my bike I picked up last year. My old bike had BB5's then 7's. That I ran for 5+ years, with no problems. As said above the simplicity is great, and no chirping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1 View Post
    Magura Louise w/out Bat $89 / with Bat $109 per wheel at Price Point - even less on ebay. This is going to be a great bang for the buck and truly amazing brakes. Modulation is awesome - they are not just on/off stoppers like a lot of entry level hydros ... and they stop really well too. Bats are somewhat better because you can dial in the feel on the fly - check the red knob on the lever. Also no break fluid to ruin paint on other parts ... Magura uses mineral oil.

Maguras are a "best kept secret" value in brakes. Just look at the average or less ratings for the Avid Elixir line - then look at Magura Louise.

Check out the 2nd review at this link:
    Magura Louise Disc Brake System Reviews

Magura Louise Brake 2011 at Price Point

Magura Louise Alloy Bat Brake 2011 at Price Point
    I did see that review, and they look great. Neither come with rotors though, and I'm not certain about adapters, plus I'd need a bleed kit. I think I'd be at/above $300 when it was all said & done. I'll check ebay, though, thanks for the advice!

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by griff71 View Post
    I did see that review, and they look great. Neither come with rotors though, and I'm not certain about adapters, plus I'd need a bleed kit. I think I'd be at/above $300 when it was all said & done. I'll check ebay, though, thanks for the advice!
    I am using The Alligator rotors 180/160 in the white version at about $19 each. They work well.
    Alligator Windcutter Colored Disc Rotor at Price Point

As to adapters, PP has them too $8 each. For the rear in a 160 you would want a #12 (in most cases if you have typical IS frame mounts). And for the front 160 you would want probably a #11 but I do not know what fork you have.

Magura QM Brake Adapters at Price Point

But I was thinking you did not need rotors because you said you wanted to stay at 160. If you have to get rotors why not get 180s or 203s in the front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am using The Alligator rotors 180/160 in the white version at about $19 each. They work well.
    Alligator Windcutter Colored Disc Rotor at Price Point

As to adapters, PP has them too $8 each. For the rear in a 160 you would want a #12 (in most cases if you have typical IS frame mounts). And for the front 160 you would want probably a #11 but I do not know what fork you have.

But I was thinking you did not need rotors because you said you wanted to stay at 160. If you have to get rotors why not get 180s or 203s in the front?
    My fork is an SR Suntour SF11 XCT V3 (MLO-29-100). The site says "max disc diameter" which I'm assuming is the rotor?

Thanks again!

Zero Miles from Myself
    Ebay ... here you go. New.

Bidding at $122 for both F/R PLUS adapters (not rotors)
    NEW Magura Louise Bat Black Brake Set // Hydraulic Disc Mountain Bike | eBay

Buy it now same set for $199
    NEW Magura Louise Bat Black Brake Set // Hydraulic Disc Mountain Bike | eBay

You would not have to bleed unless you needed to shorten the break lines.

But if you buy on Ebay make sure that the brake lines are the length you need especially if they are used. Too short and your screwed (well you'd have to buy hose too)

************ Edit ***********
    The Pros Closet just sent me a message about the 2 Auctions above.
    Both cable lengths are 64 inches and they included olives and compression fittings.
    You may not need to bleed if the hoses are the right lenghth, but if so ... Bleed kit from Jenson USA for $24 including every thing you need and olives for shortening the hoses.
    Magura Disc Brake Bleed Kit > Accessories > Tools > Bleed Kits | Jenson USA
    Last edited by mrm1; 02-23-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Hmmmm ... searching the fork I cannot find a pick of the back of the fork to see what the mount type is. IS or Post mount. And not really sure why they are saying it can only support a 160 unless it is post mount where the caliper bolts right on the fork ... thus a 160. If that is the case, Magura makes the mount for that to take it to a 180.

BTW if you stay 160 you can probably use the rotors that you already have. Just a thought.
    Last edited by mrm1; 02-23-2012 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hmmmm ... searching the fork I cannot find a pick of the back of the fork to see what the mount type is. IS or Post mount. And not really sure why they are saying it can only support a 160 unless it is post mount where the caliper bolts right on the fork ... thus a 160. If that is the case, Magura makes the mount for that to take it to a 180.

BTW if you stay 160 you can probably use the rotors that you already have. Just a thought.
    Here is a picture of the fork...is this the angle that you were looking for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best choice &lt;0-024-600x800-.jpg  

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by griff71 View Post
    Here is a picture of the fork...is this the angle that you were looking for?
    Looks like the limitation of the Disc size is the mount. The fork is IS I believe and so the Magura mounts would work fine (and BTW ... mounts are mounts if it is what you need and I found Magura to be a pretty good value - but if you stay 160 you will not need mounts)

So looking at the fork I think you could use any size disk as long as you had the mount, but you may want to check with your Trek dealer to be sure.

With the Magura mounts and that fork (it looks to be IS from what I can tell - but ask your dealer to be sure)
    160 use a #11
    180 use a #12
    203 use a #5

Zero Miles from Myself
    Yup looking at the trek site and pics of your bike, if you stay 160 you should not need mounts and you can probably use the rotors you already have with just about any brake set you order.

BTW, Magura Louise are self adjusting pistons once installed correctly. I have heard mine start to drag, speed up or flick the lever and they clear up.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Just got a message back from the Guys at the Pros Closet Ebay auction for both the Buy it now and Bid auction (see above links)

Both cable lengths are 64 inches and they included olives and compression fittings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i'm in the same boat. i have bb5s, and want to upgrade for less than 200. are avid rotors compatible with other breaking systems? i have heard good things about shimano breaks, but its hard to find some for under 200.

Shimano Deore Disc Brake M596 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

those look alright, but to be honest its hard to tell the difference between the different numbers.

i'd love more advice as well, and i don't want to go with bb7s. i have a pair, and even though i like them a lot, i want to give hydraulics a try. the bb7s are going to stay where they are on my SS

Zero Miles from Myself
    Entry level. You would probably be happier with SLX or the Megs we have been discussing IMO

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    SLX666 from Blue Sky comes with rotors and adpters for $109 each wheel, hard to beat that. Just make sure the 1400mm hose is long enough for your rear line.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    SLX666 from Blue Sky comes with rotors and adpters for $109 each wheel, hard to beat that. Just make sure the 1400mm hose is long enough for your rear line.
    Yup, pretty sweet deal there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far

My top choices so far are: (and yes, these all exceed my $200 target, but prices include shipping & tax)

Shimano SLX M666 either from blueskycycling for $250 including rotors or for $220 without rotors from promountainoutfitters
    Shimano XT M785 from promountainoutfitters for $240 without rotors
    Magura Louise Bat for $215 from eBay without rotors
    Magura Marta SL Mag for $324 from hucknroll with rotors

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    you in canada? trying to figure out your pricing for the SLX M666 from bluesky. they seem to charge quite a bit for shipping.

it seems like 250 might be a better price range to shoot for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No, I'm in California, so I get taxed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast