mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Best cable/housing for a full housing rear v-brake setup?

I am going to run v-brakes for another year. But my new frame does not have cable stops for the brakes. So i will need to run a full housing to the rear brake. Which housing/cable combo should i use? Any suggestions?

1. Delta Aztec Powerlines ($39)
    2. Jagwire Hyperbrake ($25)
    3. Jagwire Ripcord ($39)
    4. Nokon System ($59)
    5. Avid Flak Jacket ($30)
    6. Shimano XTR ($15)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

flak jacket

Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T
    I am going to run v-brakes for another year. But my new frame does not have cable stops for the brakes. So i will need to run a full housing to the rear brake. Which housing/cable combo should i use? Any suggestions?

1. Delta Aztec Powerlines ($39)
    2. Jagwire Hyperbrake ($25)
    3. Jagwire Ripcord ($39)
    4. Nokon System ($59)
    5. Avid Flak Jacket ($30)
    6. Shimano XTR ($15)
    I run the avid flack jacket on the back brake for my 20" racing bmx bike that doesn't have stops, definitly improved the braking and lever feel compared to regular housing, I'm using a avid speed dial 7 lever (ambidextrous!!, other lever on the cruiser) and a cheap v-brake that came off a cannondale that a friend gave me the brake off of. I wouldn't spend the big bucks if your just goning to use the v's for another year-but avid aren't super expensive. Xtr housing is just regular housing and won't improve your performance at all.

Ride Everything
    I bought some bulk (lined) Jagwire housing and cables from Bikeman.com, and the full-length run on my Kona is the smoothest I've felt in 30+ years of cycling. Make sure the ends are cut clean, and spray the brake cable with silicone lube before running it through the housing.