mtbr member

Which are best Brakes to Replace my Shimano M486's

Hi.

I've just had my Shimano Hydraulic brakes replaced under warranty (Both were leaking fluid from the joints) with a brand new set of Shimano M486's which feel spongy and don't lock up the rear wheel on my LBS's shiny vinyl flooring (180mm rotor and I'm 210lbs - my hayes nines lock up on tarmac!)

I'm not happy with the Shimano setup so I want to replace them with something that's similar to my other Hayes Nines in feel, i.e. Either On or Off, not particularly "Feely" or progressive but I don't want to spend a fortune (Same old, same old ) - like about as much as the Shimano's will fetch on a popular worldwide auction site, ok, maybe a little more then

I guess there's Hayes, Avid or Hope to chose from but which model? I do mostly steady forest trails, nothing like DH or stunts but still want the good stopping power when needed.

Does anyone know, of the brands above, which order their models go in, from best down to worst? And any firm recommends?

thanks

tough guy
    i would try a different set of pads, apparently the M486 came with these crappy resin pads and rotors that weren't hardened to use regular pads. if you're on your old rotors, i'd try a set of pads to see it it helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khoalie
    i would try a different set of pads, apparently the M486 came with these crappy resin pads and rotors that weren't hardened to use regular pads. if you're on your old rotors, i'd try a set of pads to see it it helps.
    Thanks for the response.

My (Not so) brilliant LBS fitted the new brakes & pads to the contaminated rotors, so I convinced them that they needed to fit new pads, which they took off the shelf. The rotors are new but budget ones off FleaBay.

I don't know how long you need before pads are "Bedded in" and they will attain full braking power but I fancied changing them out, whilst the Shimano's are literally straight from the shop, never used outside.

I've just been looking at some reviews on Hope Tech X2's on this site, sems they are brill, and there are some on Fleabay . . . . . . any opinions anyone?

Or should I give the Shimano's a fair trial? Are they an OK brake?????

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    spongy feeling brakes usually is indicative of air in the lines, which also would cause the brakes to be alot less effective while braking. Try bleeding them and cleaning the rotors and pads to ensure there is no contaminants. Chances are they will be just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I can lock up my rear anytime on this brake, I suspect something might be wrong with your setup or contamination..

Does need a bit of time to get the rotor get some deposit on it to work well it depends on the pad.

mtbr member
    Huge difference in what came stock on my bike and the sintered pads I threw in, for the better.
    Last edited by Tillers_Rule; 09-22-2010 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Do you notice bad wear on the rotor with sintered pads
    Because the stock rotor says resin only
    But organic or ceramic might be safe for it also

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    Do you notice bad wear on the rotor with sintered pads
    Because the stock rotor says resin only
    But organic or ceramic might be safe for it also
    I have the stock Shimano rotors, weigh 210 lbs and ride cross country, average 1,500 miles or so a year. The pads wear out way quicker than the rotors. Pads are actually up for replacement, but I got all new brakes, with sintered pads. Going to run with my same rotors for a while. It may be an issue for FR/DH but not for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thats good to know! can you tell me which brand of sintered pads you are using so I can try them as well..

BTW any squeaking or noise with the sintered pads?