mtbr member
    Oct 2005

The best brakes for DH ?

Gustav vs Hope6 vs Brembo ............??????????????
    Tanks.

Meh.
    Need to know more info. Weight? Riding style? etc. etc. etc.

By the way... good luck trying to get a set of Brembos. I'm not even that impressed by the build. It doesn't seem to be thought out very well.

mtbr member
    If you look for ultimate stopping power, nice build quality and bombproof reliability, get the Gustav. The levers are a bit strange and only nice for big hands though! The system is really well proven and really reliable!

I just bought a set of Shimano xt 4 pots (the old ones, got a new set though )
    will fit some Straitline levers and 8" discs. That should really rock, I am looking forward to burning them in.

My almost new Gustav will have to go =) Ive been on Shimano brakes my whole MTB-career and it seems my hands are used to them that much, that braking with something different feels funny.

Greetings Znarf

nnn
    mtbr member
    Heh it seems really popular for people to go for the old XTs nowadays, they're really going up in price on Ebay (more than M4s sometimes) I sorted myself out with a calliper, just waiting for delivery now

AW_
    locked - time out
    Gustavs are sick. True one finger braking anytime, anyplace. One thing to note is that the adaptors are stupid expensive, so make sure you get the right ones.

The only thing I didn't like about them at first was that when the lever is set at the closest possible distance from the bars, it is still further out than I prefer. BUT all you need to do is some quick file/grinder work on the steel piece that goes between the lever and the piston. Not sure what it is called but if you remove the levers it is pretty obvious. Anyways I have mine set right now so the lever is closer to the bar, and I'm really happy with the setup.

I can post pics of the mod if anyone wants... have them on my camera just need to pull them down.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the Gustav camp here.

I am running shorter levers on mine. I would not run any other brake on my FR bike.

ride hard take risks
    Almost a full 24 hours & no reply from the OP & XSL_WiLL is the only person to ask for more info from the OP.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Meh.
    Don't hate because I'm thorough. There's no reason to go totally overkill with brakes. If he weighs like 120 pounds or is not blisteringly fast or rides mellow DH... then it just isn't necessary. Gustav is by no means a light brake... and none of those choices are easy on the wallet. There are plenty of riders doing just fine with Saints, XTs, Juicys, Louises, Mags, Strokers, etc.

If you're looking for gobs and gobs of power... I'd say Gustav, Code, or Moto V2.