Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

The best brakes?

I am about to get rid of my new Elixir CRs for some new brakes. I was wondering, what are the best brakes? I love how powerful the Elixir CRs are, but I cannot stand the noise/warbling after ten minute downhill rides.

GL1
    mtbr member

NEW XT or XTR

I can't say enough about the NEW XT or XTR's. I got the XT Trail's with the the ICE tech metal pads and rotors. Amazing! Seriously. And mineral oil over DOT 5 brake fluid.

I am running 180's front and rear on rotors. The lever feel, modulation, and adjustments are top notch. I have been riding for 20 years and these are by FAR the best brakes I have ever had.
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar

mtbr member
    +1 for the 2012 XTs.
    I'm running 180 ice techs F/R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    +1 for 2012 XT/XTR. I'm running full XTR awesome 180front 160rear

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

mtbr member
    Yep. Those are them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Right now with my Elixirs I have to clean the pads (organics) of contaminants after every downhill ride. If I don't they howl and vibrate horribly. This is a daily thing I have to do pretty much. Would that be the case with the Shimanos?

flurker
    hopefully not intruding here, but i have some supplemental brake questions: wondering if anyone else out there feels it's better to run smaller rotors on the front and big ones on the back to balance out the braking forces a little? i really have no desire to enable one finger lock-ups of my front wheel... also on that note, do hydraulic brakes "feather" better? i am thinking of a mismatched pair - hydro up front mech out back...

mtbr member
    By feather you mean modulate.
    Hydros in general modulate better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Venison View Post
    hopefully not intruding here, but i have some supplemental brake questions: wondering if anyone else out there feels it's better to run smaller rotors on the front and big ones on the back to balance out the braking forces a little? i really have no desire to enable one finger lock-ups of my front wheel... also on that note, do hydraulic brakes "feather" better? i am thinking of a mismatched pair - hydro up front mech out back...
    Nope. Either the same size or 1 size bigger on the front ie 180mm F and 160mm R.

You want the "stronger" or more powefull brake on the front.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

flurker
    yes... modulate. with my current front there isn't nearly enough range between zero and full stop.
    anyone notice better modulationability (fun new bike word?) in one brake over another?

mtbr member
    yes... modulate. with my current front there isn't nearly enough range between zero and full stop.
    anyone notice better modulationability (fun new bike word?) in one brake over another?
    What brakes do you have now?

Generally the better model brakes have better modulation. Read reviews. Modulation means different things to different people IMHO. I am quite happy with how my J3's (EBC green pads, 185mm rotors) perform some reviews say they are either "on or off". I don't feel that.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

flurker
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Nope. Either the same size or 1 size bigger on the front ie 180mm F and 160mm R.

You want the "stronger" or more powefull brake on the front.
    yes, i know this is the norm.... but i find that even with cheap mechanical disc brakes and the smallest available rotor on the front i can very easily lock up my front wheel with relatively light pressure from one finger (and i am running pretty fat tires... 2.35" if i remember right).

what is the point of having all that extra braking force unless you have matching friction available b/t tire and ground?

mtbr member
    That is what modulation does. It allows you to have control over the power. Weaker brakes are not the answer. You want better brakes not weaker brakes.

flurker
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    That is what modulation does. It allows you to have control over the power. Weaker brakes are not the answer. You want better brakes not weaker brakes.
    yes that does make sense. although it still seems that much of the stopping power available in the brakes could never actually be used in real-life due to lack of traction. maybe i just need better tires...

mtbr member
    This

see How to properly use disc brakes see my post at 37
    and mimi1885 at #36 for example

Read the thread some good info and some not so good.

mtbr member
    yes that does make sense. although it still seems that much of the stopping power available in the brakes could never actually be used in real-life due to lack of traction. maybe i just need better tires...
    Or, better technique.
    If you haven't already you should read Mastering Mountain Bike Skills, by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack.

flurker
    Or, better technique.
    If you haven't already you should read Mastering Mountain Bike Skills, by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack.
    yes, i hear you. however technique (at least not mine) cannot overcome the laws of physics.
    think of it this way... what good are disc brakes if you're riding on ice? you can only use as much of the braking force as you can match in traction. of coarse technique helps with all of this, but we still will hit the limits of traction at some point, and i guess i still feel like it is better to actually reduce the front force relative to the rear (not saying weak or worse, just relative front to back.. could also say increase the force of rear brake relative to front) to create a more balanced braking feel. i have a bigger tire on the back to add to the effect, and of coarse in the steeps you're usually trying to keep your weight more over the rear than the front... anyway, it works good for me, but maybe i'm just weird.
    after coming from calipers, it took a bit to adapt to how quickly a front disc will lock up a front wheel, so i'm for sure looking to step up to something with better modulation.
    thanks for the suggestions
    (btw... i have avid 7-somethings? bb7 maybe? i forget. it's been a while since i put them on)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just ordered the XT brakes with Ice Rotors. With overnight shipping. Should be here by Wednesday, then on my bike the same day. Score!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I guess it's too late for you but I would recommend Shimano Saints they are the most powerful brakes that Shimano makes. I've tried the new XT's on a Tallboy and I wasn't impressed. The Saints on the otherhand always have power to spare.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I can't afford saints. I only want something as powerful as my elixirs without the squeal.

mtbr member
    I like the new XT/XTR stuff quite a bit as long as you're not running them on big downhill runs. They can overheat. As far as overall, it's a damn good brake, but not sure anything is better than the hopes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A lot of the time I will bike up the hills here in town (on the road), and ride down. The descent can take between ten to thirty minutes, depending on how high I want to go. I don't ride on the brakes too much, only when I go over thirty miles per hour. Will this cause any noise/warbling on the shimanos?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brf4n View Post
    A lot of the time I will bike up the hills here in town (on the road), and ride down. The descent can take between ten to thirty minutes, depending on how high I want to go. I don't ride on the brakes too much, only when I go over thirty miles per hour. Will this cause any noise/warbling on the shimanos?
    You'll be fine. The overheating issue is overblown IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GL1
    mtbr member

Cool!

You are going to love the XT's with the ICE Tech rotors.

A few things to consider if you haven't already...

What size rotors did you get? You will need the correct size adapters for the rotor plus your frame/fork mount type.

Also, you MAY need to trim the lines. There are vids all over about how to do it and it's easier on the Shimano's than others. Still though, you might need a funnel and bleed kit.

You will love those brakes. Guarantee!
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast