mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Best brakes for a 300lbs guy?

Anyone have a short list of their top choices?

mtbr member
    Shimano's with 203mm rotors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    shimano saint F/R with 203/180mm rotors.

just kidding. you can use any brake setup using 203/180mm rotors which will slow you down fairly well.

i only mentioned the saints because they use a sequential caliper piston action (first two pistons clamp and then the secondary smaller two pistons clamp for more power).

mtbr member
    Bigger rotor will give you more stopping power. So regardless of brand or model go with 203mm(8"). Now I use the 2011 Avid Codes. They have amazing strength and modulation. i'm 260 plus gear and have no problems stoping.
    "walking on water is only knowing where the stones are"

LightJunction.com
    Even the Avid Elixir brakes should be just fine, as long as you stick with a larger rotor (180-203mm)
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Grand Master Jedi
    I bought a set of the Hayes Stroker Aces on super-sale from Pricepoint, they are dual piston units as well and came with sintered-metallic pads. They are pretty burley and are still available for cheap money ($100/wheel). I'd recommend them with 203mm rotors and you'll have more power than you know what to do with.

Shimano's new XT or XTR Trail brakes are amazing, but cost a bit more.

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    I bought a set of the Hayes Stroker Aces on super-sale from Pricepoint, they are dual piston units as well and came with sintered-metallic pads. They are pretty burley and are still available for cheap money ($100/wheel). I'd recommend them with 203mm rotors and you'll have more power than you know what to do with.

Shimano's new XT or XTR Trail brakes are amazing, but cost a bit more.

I'm nowhere near that weight, so my opinion is only semi-relevant here...

Aces have been reliable for me, and if they're going that cheaply then they're worth a look (imho).
    The only thing I would say against them is that they're a bit of a PITA to work on relative to others.

mtbr member
    If ya can find em Magura Gustavs were the king of stopping power. I still have a set for my big bike and if I weighed 100lbs more they would be my only choice.

addicted to chunk
    Yah as everyone mentioned, larger rotors will make a big difference.

I would guess a pair of hope V2's would suffice as well.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I like the new xtr, but not for anyone doing serious riding over 225lbs. I smoked a set. Great brake but not for a heavy rider at all. Look for a set of hope mono 6ti if you can find them. I run it with a mono 4 on my HD mojo. Best brake I have ever run. 6 pistons and pretty light for a downhill brake. All the parts on my bike are 2011 or newer except the brakes. (2005) They are that good. Using the new levers and red pads.