Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Best Brake System

Any opinions on the best brake system?

mtbr member
    For what type of riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

ride hard take risks
    Hayes HFX-Mag
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

banned
    There's no such thing as an above all winner because there are so many different types of riding. Some are xc, some DH and Freeride, etc. Some people have criteria that includes weight, some don't.

ride hard take risks
    Hayes HFX-Mag
    Formotion Products

banned
    Nah ah, it's simply called "Mag" now, since Hayes bumbled their business dealings and inadvertently gave their name to the company in Taiwan that made their stuff for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    For trail/cross-country riding primarily.....

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Nah ah, it's simply called "Mag" now, since Hayes bumbled their business dealings and inadvertently gave their name to the company in Taiwan that made their stuff for them.
    Screw politics, thats for lonely people wanting to feel powerfull

Mine is bigger than yours but my zipper is stuck & my friends will beat you up.
    Formotion Products

banned
    I'm just interested in how that is going to affect the end consumer here, especially with parts availability.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'm just interested in how that is going to affect the end consumer here, especially with parts availability.
    Since there is a minimum time/year requirement for parts availability in the US Hayes has already exceeded that so they would only have what is available in distribution centers & there wherehouse, probably enough to last a couple years. The company holding the patnt. will possibly try & move in on a existing client base, easy money. If that happens im definitely supporting Hayes & screw the chumps going for the easy buck.
    Last edited by dogonfr; 05-06-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Basically, any hydro disk from Avid, Shimano, Magura or Hope is great as long as you pay attention to what each model can and can't do and what they are designed for. (This is from the opinion of someone who never enjoyed the multiple different Hayes that he rode, and who likes most everything that he has ridden from other companies, including Hope Mono6s, Juicy 5s, Shimano Saints, etc.)

Go Fast, Take Chances.

Go Formula Oro Series...

I have used many different hydraulic brake systems and I am currently using Formula's K-24's with 8" Rotors, and it the best brake system I have ever used and I truly don't see any room for improvement in the system. Best modulation, no overheating and completely silent except when wet!!! If you want more reason to go Formula, take a look at the review section.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Having ridden most brakes on the market, i perfer the positive feel of a shimano brake to most others. Avid's have great power and modulation, but lack the feel that I've been looking for. Hayes are horrible, and lack modulation as well as numerous other qualities that you would look for in a brake system. I would recommend checking out avid's nicer brakes (7's and ultimates) as well as hopes and shimano saint/xt/xtr.

One thing to keep in mind is the availability of replacement parts. Hopes and forumlas (others) are excellent, but the chances of an lbs carrying replacements parts are less likely than your primary avid/hayes/shimano brakes in case you need a fix in a pinch.

Get out of town!
    I have always liked Shimano M555's and Hayes HFX Mags.

I have heard a lot of bad feedback on Hayes brakes but I'm now trying out some El Caminos after giving up on trying to dial in my ultra bling Juicy Ultimates. I could never get rid of the metal on metal feel no matter how I adjusted the calipers, set the pads, or arranged shims (the front brake felt fine but the rear was impossible to set up). The El Caminos felt better right away so I am going to try them for awhile.

There are a bunch of good brakes out there - if I had my choice it would be between the Formula Oro's, Hayes HFX Mags, or Magura Marta SL's. I don't have that money...err..choice right now though.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sykes81
    I have used many different hydraulic brake systems and I am currently using Formula's K-24's with 8" Rotors, and it the best brake system I have ever used and I truly don't see any room for improvement in the system. Best modulation, no overheating and completely silent except when wet!!! If you want more reason to go Formula, take a look at the review section.
    I too have tried a lot of disc brakes... and I have to say the Formulas kick ass. Big time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Formula's.

I heart the drops

Smile Formulas

Even the cheapest formulas will out perform anything hayes has on the market currently and avid has been using the design that formula gave them before they got bought out by sram

banned
    Sep 2005
    Formula.

mtbr member
    I don't think you can go wrong with most of the brakes out there.

Personally, I'm running 4-pot M755 XT brakes on my Ibis Mojo w/ a 203mm rotor. Couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    another vote for formula, worth every penny.

Bodhisattva
    Stick in the spokes. Stops ya every time.
    Life....the original terminal illness

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Hayes HFX-Mag
    Not a chance.

I would say Formula Oro's they have more power than anyone needs and they have the modulation that Hayes are missing

Another festivus MIRACLE!
    Codes.
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Not a chance.

I would say Formula Oro's they have more power than anyone needs and they have the modulation that Hayes are missing
    Ars backwards on my side, between my Mag's & Juicy 7's i much preffer the Mag all around. The 7's are way to emo they are like on off switches.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Brakes are for wimps.

The bike goes way faster without em because it is lighter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast