mtbr member

Best brake set $150-200, modulation important

I'm a light guy, 130lbs. I don't think I need lots of stopping power. need good modulation for scrubbing speed off for corners. I'd like the set to be closer to $150 usd.

shimano slx seem to have awesome reviews, I can get the set for $200, plus rotors will cost me $30 for the pair, so $230 total. thats a little more than I want to spend. what is as good as the slx but cheaper?

Magura Louise and hayes stroker trail are two others I've found.

I'll buy on ebay if I can save some money. I looked for slx and formula rx but couldn't find any deals.

mtbr member
    You can't beat Magura Louise for 200. Plus rotors of course. Best brakes I've run. Never any issues or squealing like my avid juicy and cr. Avid have more power, but nowhere near the modulation.

With the Louise on sale online at a few places it makes me want to buy a few sets b4 they run out. The replacement m series cost too much $$$$.

Shimano are damn nice too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    You can't beat Magura Louise for 200. Plus rotors of course. Best brakes I've run. Never any issues or squealing like my avid juicy and cr. Avid have more power, but nowhere near the modulation.

With the Louise on sale online at a few places it makes me want to buy a few sets b4 they run out. The replacement m series cost too much $$$$.

Shimano are damn nice too.
    only place I've found the louise is pricepoint for $80, all they have is the rear. everywhere else has the bat version which is $130+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    only place I've found the louise is pricepoint for $80, all they have is the rear. everywhere else has the bat version which is $130+
    Yup. Damn it. Wasn't the case two months ago.

Could also try the julie at bluesky. The slx with rotors also. Magura mt2 might be nice. I'd take them over any avid brakeset.

Hmmm....

http://www.bikebling.com/Shimano-Deore-XT-M775-Disc-Brake-Kits-p/shimano-xt-discbrakeset.htm

mtbr member
    Pm'd ya too.

mtbr member
    Based on my experiences with the new XT, I'd go SLX...

mtbr member
    I have 2 sets of Formula Oro k-18's that I got brand new off of eBay for $90 each! Excellent brakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Magura MT2 is ~$90-95 a set. Worth looking into...

mtbr member
    MT2 look solid. I want to try a set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What about the Hygia SLP? I just bought a set on ebay for around $ 200 with shipping.

That includes rotors as well

mtbr member
    what about the hayes stroker trail? a complete set is $140 on pricepoint for the 2011s. I'd still have to get rotors, so like $170 total.

are these as good as the shimano slx? do they modulation as well and what about reliability?

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I never liked the way the oro's mixed with shimano trigger shifters.