mtbr member

Listen! Best Brake Rotor

Hey
    I am planning on upgrading my front rotor on my Avid Juicy 3 from 160mm to 185mm. Is it OK to use a different brand of brake to a different rotor? If it is, are there any rotors just work better than others i should use instead of the Avid brand Cleansweep?

Thanks
    "Well, now we know what NOT to do..." - Me and my Friends

Meh.
    I'm happy with Hayes v cut rotors. The v7 is 183mm so you'll also have to use the Hayes adapter... but that's not an issue.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Only use rotors cut from the finest grade depleted uranium.

Yea, you'll be fine.
    :: wrenchscience ::

Single Speed Junkie
    Galfer has been good to me.

Formulas are straight and true would run them also.

Hopes have proven to be warped from the factory and require some tuning to run straight. (Comment if for their solid rotors, don't know about their new stuff)

On MTBR hiatus :(
    The only rotor I'd avoid is Avid's Roundagon, only because of the complaints I've heard, and maybe some Shimanos, due to the narrow brake track. I'm sure there are some others.

But "best..."

Avid's 185 Cleansweep was "best" for two wheels because they came with the caliper, i.e. cheap.

Hope's wavey, custom lettered rotors were "best" because they let me customize some rotors I got for my wife's bike. Well, actually, I got them for my wife, but they ended up on her bike anyway.

Magura's 165mm 4-bolt was "best" x2 because it fit my Speedhubs.

Formula's 220mm rotors were "best" for our tandem because I wanted something big and cool looking.

In each of those instances, those rotors are in use with Avids. I think you'll be ok with pretty much anything you decide on with sufficient track width. (Personally, I'd try for the Magura Venti 180mm, and file 2mm off the ends of my adapters to make 'em fit, just 'cause they look cool.)
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

wyrd bi ful rd
    I am using XTs with Hope floating rotors ...

Why because I think the design actually helps in braking where a steel rotor will flex.

With the floaties, the outer steel will move independantly from the inner aluminium because of the rivets. Why because not all pistons will move towards the rotor at the same time or the pads may not have equal wear in them. (I might be saying so only because I just love the design)

20071018 rotor MTBR FORUM.jpg

but of course ... each his own
    Last edited by chinaman; 01-09-2008 at 12:05 PM.

saddlemeat
    XTR rotors really smoothed and quieted (!) a set of Hayes brakes I used to run. I've been wishing I could put a set on my c29ssmax wheels to replace my noisy avid rotors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Personally, I always thought these rotors looked cool, really light to boot. Going for cheap on pricepoint right now.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    What is wrong with Avid's Roundagons? The came with the brakes and they work OK.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    a lot of people have issues with extreme howling with the roundagons

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by easyperson
    a lot of people have issues with extreme howling with the roundagons
    ...and reports of pulsing, but that may have only been on some early production???
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    ...and reports of pulsing, but that may have only been on some early production???
    Mine pulse, but only under light braking. I don't consider it a big deal. They're louder than s**t when they're wet, which is kind of annoying.