mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm Best Bleeding Kit for Avid? / Avid Elixir 3 Brake Lever Feeling Musy

Hi everyone,

The brake lever on the rear brake of my Avid Elixir 3 feels mushy/stiff/engages too early. I tried adjusting the reach but that only adjusted the lever position and did not actually adjust the throw of the brake lever itself. I asked in another thread, and a forum member said I might need to bleed the brakes. Is that right?

Also, what would be the best bleeding kit that works on Avid Elixir 3? I've heard of something called alligator bleeding kit? From reviews, it seems like the Avid bleeding kit is subpar because of its syringe/hose seal being poor quality and not lasting or something.

Cheers!

slow but uncoordinated
    Jan 2013
    I needed to bleed my avid's last week and was going to order a bleed kit online but was in a hurry. I stopped at Performance bike and they has one they said that was sitting on a shelf for a while. I took it home, watched you tube once and followed the directions. No problems and it was pretty simple. I'm not sure of the kit you mention but if it's a lot cheaper I'd say go for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The Avid bleed kits currently available are of poor quality. The tubes connecting to the syringe are not always airtight - leaking out oil under positive pressure and sucking air into the system under negative pressure. This makes it nearly impossible to perform an effective bleed. A suggested fix would be to tighten down some zip ties to the tube ends or install hose clamps to eliminate any leaks.

mtbr member
    I have a bleed kit off ebay, and it works fine. It's actually my second; my first came with plastic bleed fittings, and these quickly wore out. I then bought a set with brass fittings, and these are working great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I have a bleed kit off ebay, and it works fine. It's actually my second; my first came with plastic bleed fittings, and these quickly wore out. I then bought a set with brass fittings, and these are working great.
    Awesome! Do you use Avids as well? Do you have images to the kit? There's quite a few on eBay

mtbr member
    I won't be able to take pictures of my kit until Thursday night at the earliest, but basically any of the Avid bleed kits on eBay should be fine as long as they have brass bleed fittings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    I won't be able to take pictures of my kit until Thursday night at the earliest, but basically any of the Avid bleed kits on eBay should be fine as long as they have brass bleed fittings.
    I believe this is the brass bleed fittings you're talking about?

mtbr member
    yes, that is exactly the one.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    any source for those brass bleed fittings with the round knurled edges?

mtbr member
    I recently got and used this bleed kit at Amazon. Worked well. Amazon.com: Avid Disc Brake Bleed Kit, Elixir, Code, Juicy, USA: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The "pro" bleed kit is the one to have. $50-70 iirc. Here is a link to one on ebay for a pic.

Avid Avid Pro Bleed Kit No Dot | eBay
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    The "pro" bleed kit is the one to have. $50-70 iirc. Here is a link to one on ebay for a pic.

Avid Avid Pro Bleed Kit No Dot | eBay
    +1............the pro kit is of much higher quality. Much easier to push and pull fluids.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I recently got and used this bleed kit at Amazon. Worked well. Amazon.com: Avid Disc Brake Bleed Kit, Elixir, Code, Juicy, USA: Sports & Outdoors
    There are two things missing from that kit that are essential, a bleed block and DOT 5.1 brake fluid. You can either buy an Avid block or make your own (they're 10mm thick). I made one from a chunk of mahogany that I had kicking around, but plastic or metal would probably be best if you have it handy, since they can't absorb brake fluid. If you don't use a block, you will likely regret it (trust me, I know).

Don't buy the overpriced brake fluid from Avid or Finish Line. For nearly the same price as their 4 oz./120ml bottles, you can get a 500ml bottle of Motul DOT 5.1 fluid.

All this said, the syringes and connectors in the Avid Pro kit do look much nicer than the ones from my old Avid kit and the Bleed Bicycles kit.
    Last edited by Bnystrom; 12-23-2013 at 04:57 AM.