mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Best BB7 Brake Pad Thoughts?

Anyone have thoughts on the best BB7 brake pad? I really like quiet brakes so that would be my first consideration, followed by stopping power, and lastly life span.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sounds like you would want a non-metallic (ie: resin) pad. They tend to be much quieter, have good stopping power, but suffer from a shorter life span.

Your other options are semi-metallic or metallic pads. More noisy and noisiest, respectively, but both last longer than resin pads.

There are a number of after-market companies, but Kool Stop's will probably be easiest to find.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Would most people run Avid pads or some sort of aftermarket? Currently running the stock pads that came with the BB7s. They don't work bad, quietish, and plenty of stopping power.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the best BB7 brake pad? I really like quiet brakes so that would be my first consideration, followed by stopping power, and lastly life span.

Thanks in advance.
    EBC Gold.

Powerful, wear well, consistent.

I have never really had a noise problem with BB7s or the original BBDBs since 2000. It comes and goes, mostly silent. I just keep the caliper aligned and the pads adjusted.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks Shiggy. Yea I am a hopeless tinkerer so as soon as I hear any sound or warble I get to do bike repair. Sick as it sounds I think I actually like working on bikes just as much as riding them......

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Thanks Shiggy. Yea I am a hopeless tinkerer so as soon as I hear any sound or warble I get to do bike repair. Sick as it sounds I think I actually like working on bikes just as much as riding them......
    Once you have a good basic adjustment do not be too quick to "fix" your brakes when they start howling.

I have rolled around before a ride with noisy brakes. A mile into the ride they are silent without doing anything. Water, grit, leaves and dust during a ride can start and stop brake noise. having brake noise come and go is entirely normal.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Definitely sound advice. That happened yesterday. A little squeak as I rolled into the woods but as soon as they warmed up they were awesome. Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming.