mtbr member

Best bang for the buck hydros around $200-250?

I've stepped up and upgraded my frame to an On-One Scandel 29er and a Manitou tower pro fork. So, I'm looking to upgrade from my current Tektro hydros.

What's the best bang for my buck hyrdos with rotors available for $200-250? Looked at shimano, but need rotors. I know Avids are crap, unless you want cabled BB7's.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I put Avid Elixir 5's on my Rush a year ago and have had no problems with them. Debated between them and Hayes Strokers. Got them from Price Point.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhammer View Post
    I put Avid Elixir 5's on my Rush a year ago and have had no problems with them. Debated between them and Hayes Strokers. Got them from Price Point.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I've looked at Avids and they seem good price wise. But, all I see are bad feedback on every hydo series from them.

Workin for the weekend!
    XT's will be the smart choice...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I concur with Todd. Anything Shimano be it SLX or XT would be the way to go.I run Avids which are good also as long as they are set up right and maintained properly.Not the biggest fan of Hayes though weve had pretty trouble free usage with the Soles on my girls bike.

mtbr member
    I was hoping whatever I got, came with rotors and I know shimano doesn't. Not really a bit deal as long as the price is right. Should I shoot for non ice tech pads or with?

Is there any negatives against some other brands like Magura or Formula?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i just bought these Shimano XT BR-M785 Disc Brakes - Bike Disc Brakes

pretty happy with the price,some had the fronts cheaper but i wanted both to match

mtbr member
    This is what I ended up ordering. Any issues with this setup? Was gonna go for the XT's, but then it would be more with adding rotors and rear IS adapter.

Shimano SLX M675 Ice Tech Disc Brake w/ Adapter Front 180mm w/ Post Adapter $99.98

Shimano SLX M675 Ice Tech Disc Brake w/ Adapter Rear 160mm w/ I.S Adapter $89.98

Shimano SLX RT66 6-Bolt Disc Brake Rotor 160mm $19.98

Shimano SLX RT66 6-Bolt Disc Brake Rotor 180mm $24.98

Sub Total $234.92
    Shipping & Handling $19.95
    Insurance $1.25
    Tax $0.00
    Order Total $256.12

mtbr member
    You may find yourself wanting the icetech rotors down the line...

But you did well. Great brakes for a fine price.

mtbr member
    Would switching to a standard pad work better for the rotors I got?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post
    Would switching to a standard pad work better for the rotors I got?
    You should be perfectly fine running the Ice tech pads and non-ice tech rotors as long as the rotors you got are compatible with metallic pads.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I'm a devoted Magura fan, but I did give a set of the new XT brakes a spin on my Niner SIR 9, and I'm pretty impressed with them. They're economical, lightweight, and have great modulation and power. They're also some of the easiest brakes I've ever set up...even easier to set up than BB7's in my opinion.

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering the brakes I listed above. The SLX m675. They are being delivered today along with the rest of my build parts. Will post up my thoughts when used.

ready to ride
    I just put on pretty much the same brakes on my Tallboy last night except my front is a 666. Very easy to set up. What a night and day difference between the Avids Elixr 1s I had on before. SRAM finally replaced my rear one with a Elixr 5, better than the 1 but still problematic after only a couple of rides. Fed up with them I ordered the shimano. Using the existing rear rotor which was an Avid, no problem. Using a Shimano XT 180mm non-ice rotor on the front. Can't compare to the ice rotors but the brakes in general are far superior from what I can tell with the short ride I did up and down the hill in front of my house. Looking forward to using them on the trail. it will be nice not having to worry about whether or not the Avids are going to function correctly.

How do you like your Scandel? I was actually thinking of getting one or an inbred for a backup bike.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    How do you like your Scandel? I was actually thinking of getting one or an inbred for a backup bike.
    Actually just received the Scandal and SLX brakes today. Just finished building it, so haven't ridden it yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bang for the buck hydros around 0-250?-uploadfromtaptalk1357787606922.jpg  

Best bang for the buck hydros around 0-250?-uploadfromtaptalk1357787622337.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's not that important to get shimano rotors if you're watching cost. Just resurface your old rotors with fine sandpaper then clean with a volatile solvent.

I still am skeptical about the ice tech rotors advantage, except for the RT-99 Saint 203s which have the extra fins, like the Ice Tech pads. Clearly a finned heat sink construction has great heat dissipation.

Ice Tech rotors are more fragile though. The edge can get easily smushed by careless rotor truing or maybe a rock or something.

The new Deore brake, M596, is actually really great for a cheap brake. It competes with Elixir 1 for price but is way better. Servo wave and a hinged clamp are nice. You don't need tool free reach or free stroke adjust, they just work and don't rub. Resin pads are cheap, bed in fast and are quiet. And you can use the cheap rotors if you want as well. Easy Shimano bleed and hose trim with mineral oil.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06 View Post
    Actually just received the Scandal and SLX brakes today. Just finished building it, so haven't ridden it yet.
    Nice build, give us a report on the brakes and the bike.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan