Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

best bang for buck disc brake under $70?

Hi,
    I just bought a rocky mountain cardiac mainly because it has a disc brake at the front. I am a bike noob, I just ride to the uni and back home. Well I bought the bike because of the disc brakes as the rim brakes that were on my old bike were useless in wet conditions (VERY scary). Anyhow, the front (mechanical) disc brake sucks -.- ....the rear v brakes are good, I guess because of the aluminum rims.

Sooo: I was looking for the best front disc brake set up under $70....I know it's low =/
    I guess I prefer hydraulics as I used them before (hayes solo) and liked how they felt.

thanks in advance

Edit: I was mostly looking at ebay...

mtbr member
    Avid BB7 (from price point or Jenson etc)or Avid Elixir 1 Disc Brake - Black 2012 currently on "sale" for $65
    or
    Shimano Deore Disc Brake M596

The Avids come with new rotors and mounts. The Shimano needs them as extras or reuse your old ones.

Mostly the 2012 Avids get better reports than the 2011 models
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    do they both come in as 'plug and play'? like I don't need to add oil or bleed or anything like that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sssgood View Post
    do they both come in as 'plug and play'? like I don't need to add oil or bleed or anything like that?

Avids let you use them as left or right hand controls. I think Shimano are set up for either Left or Right hand use.

Yes both are ready to use. The Shimano linked to come with the bits to shorten the hoses. Which can be done without the need to rebleed the brakes.

Some 2011 Avids came from the factory with poor "bleeds" and needed redoing. By report the 2012's are better.

The Avids are a complete set. The Shimanos need a mount and a rotor.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    so far the avids are looking good, so are these two as good as it gets? Also how reputable is that site? I live in Canada so UK is a long way...

mtbr member
    so far the avids are looking good, so are these two as good as it gets?
    For $65 (~$75 posted) IMHO yes.

Price the Avid mounts, rotor and pads on there own.

Lots of threads on here about budget disc brakes. Search for threads here and good deals on Google etc
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 03-08-2012 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    so far the avids are looking good, so are these two as good as it gets? Also how reputable is that site? I live in Canada so UK is a long way...

CRC is a huge online bike shop. Many buy from them. I am in Australia and I do,

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    i hope the OP knows that the elixir 1 are $65 for 160mm for front and $90 for rear 160mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    i hope the OP knows that the elixir 1 are $65 for 160mm for front and $90 for rear 160mm.
    I think he is running a Mullet.

Hi,
    ...snip..Anyhow, the front (mechanical) disc brake sucks -.- ....the rear v brakes are good, I guess because of the aluminum rims.

Sooo: I was looking for the best front disc brake set up under $70....I know it's low =/
    I guess I prefer hydraulics as I used them before (hayes solo) and liked how they felt.

..snipp...

LightJunction.com
    The BB7 for sure. Simple. Adjustable. Reasonably powerful. Not the best brakes out there, but for the money, it's hard to complain.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

thanks in advance

sssgood,
    Hit me with a private message, I should be able to hook you up with a free set of Shimano Hydros. They work great and just need new pads. They just came off my wife's bike.
    (you'd pay for shipping costs only).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am not a mullet -.- ....just have a lot of learning to do, and like said before, It only has the front discs, V for the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Same as the Op I would like to replace my promark hydro brake with shimano/ avid
    Budget 120$
    I already have the discs so I need only the brakes and handles.
    Question is, will I see better results with this price over the promark or I need to double the price to get something better?

mtbr member
    I am not a mullet -.- ....just have a lot of learning to do, and like said before, It only has the front discs, V for the rear.

Having a Disc brake front end and a V brake rear end is called a "Mullet". "All business up the front and a party out the back" In honour of the classic 80's hairstyle.

I have a Mullet on one of my bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    lmao, I didn't know

I Love my Rize

Good job! Elixir 1's all the way

Elixri 1 brakes are hands down the BEST entry level hydo going. I bought them for my M500 cannondale and my nephews also. They are VERY powerful and have perfect feel. I am blown away on how good they are for the money. They have pretty much the same power as most very high level brakes and the modulation is out of the park. Can't say enough good about them.; I ran them all winter in the northeast in the very worst conditions and they were stellar.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    And how is the avid elixir 3? Also what is the equivalent in the shimano line?
    I will be glad to get some quick overview of both lines price range wise and quality, I am kinda lost with all models.
    Thanks

mtbr member

Free brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    sssgood,
    Hit me with a private message, I should be able to hook you up with a free set of Shimano Hydros. They work great and just need new pads. They just came off my wife's bike.
    (you'd pay for shipping costs only).
    got anything for me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    got anything for me?
    I do, what do you need?
    I suspect anything I have will not meet your bling quotient however.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Overg View Post
    And how is the avid elixir 3? Also what is the equivalent in the shimano line?
    I will be glad to get some quick overview of both lines price range wise and quality, I am kinda lost with all models.
    Thanks
    There is one review on this site that say they are basically the same except for some minor differences:

Avid Elixir 1 Disc Brake System Reviews

mtbr member
    There is one review on this site that say they are basically the same except for some minor differences:

Avid Elixir 1 Disc Brake System Reviews
    Shimano Deore is the best bang for the buck IMO. CRC got the new (M596) at $70 per side prebled ready to bolt on. Buy front and rear, shipping is free. They are inexpensive, but far from cheap.
    RM Vapor
    Access XCL 9r

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Having a Disc brake front end and a V brake rear end is called a "Mullet". "All business up the front and a party out the back" In honour of the classic 80's hairstyle.

I have a Mullet on one of my bikes
    Learn something new every day! I ran a mullet for a couple years on my HT, and didn't even know it.

mtbr member
    I've had the Hayes Mag for so long now and love them. They're cheap, good @ self adjust, and are easy to bleed. Just don't use sintered pads... those vibrate like hell.

mtbr member
    You can't go far wrong with any of the brakes on offer. I brake single finger so I prefer the Deore M596, lever but it's pretty marginal. Deore also have slightly better modulation and are slightly better quality.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I just bought a rocky mountain cardiac mainly because it has a disc brake at the front. I am a bike noob, I just ride to the uni and back home. Well I bought the bike because of the disc brakes as the rim brakes that were on my old bike were useless in wet conditions (VERY scary). Anyhow, the front (mechanical) disc brake sucks -.- ....the rear v brakes are good, I guess because of the aluminum rims.

thanks in advance

To the OP, I'm not at all familiar with your bike or its components. However, before you give up on your front mechanical discs, you might be able to save yourself some money by making sure they're truly as good as they can be...

1. proper lever adjustments, if available, so the lever is not bottoming against your grips
    2. proper pad spacing, if available, so again the lever does not bottom out
    3. proper cable/housing adjustment. The first 3 points are just to make sure that you're using all the force multiplier that your system can provide; if your level hits the grips, then you're not getting all the "pull" that the system can provide.
    4. no oil/grease contamination on the rotor or brake pads; a light scrubbing with sandpaper on the rotor and pads followed by isopropyl alcohol rinse or automotive brake cleaner followed by isopropyl alcohol rinse can do wonders for poor brake performance.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast