mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Best Bang for the Buck?

I'm posting this in the brake section hoping for some unbiased info. Weight is important, but so is value. My 97 DB Hybrid has Shimano Deore LX-V brakes.
    The WW listing has them at 412g. They are OK so far.
    I have been told that I can save half a pound on just the brakes? My levers are good, no changes there. What will give me the best weight savings per dollar?
    I'm slowly building my Super Hybrid a piece at a time. TIA

R

Former Bike Wrench
    The 412g listing is for LX Cantilever Brakes, not V's...the LX V's are more like 520g for the pair including all hardware and pads.

Avid SD7's run 364g a pair with all hardware and pads and are pretty cheap

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    MTB 72 Thanks for the quick response. As long as I am upgrading, I try to do it right the first time. I don't need a collection of used/outdated bike parts. No wonder they said I can loose so much weight.
    How much more would Ti or CF cost and how much would I save?
    I'm working towards a Super Hybrid that can go back to MTB if needed.
    I love passing roadies, everything helps. I can't wait until I'm strong enough to go faster w/lower bars.

Former Bike Wrench
    You can go with the Avid SD SL's which will drop you to about 320g a pair...but more than doubles your price for the 44g you save

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Big Thanks

Mtn72: Thanks for the great suggestion. The SD7s were an instant go, then I thought about the SLs. I checked on prices and most were $61-$67, that was not worth it.
    So I poked around and found some SLs for $49 vs $35 for SD7s. It was a no-brainer at that point. The 40g I saved would get real expensive trying to save that much elsewhere on the bike. Thanks again!

R