banned
    Nov 2007

best bang for the $$$ bb7 cable and houseing set up

I purchased a set of bb7,I dont want to spend up for the ripcord setup.Has anyone used the standard jagwire L3 houseing,its half the price of shimano houseing.also xtr cable is a hair larger than the sram brake cable,is there a prefeance to either.
    thx

mtbr member
    Nashbar has a "mechanical disc brake cable kit" that is a set of two Jagwire Ripcord housings and two cables for ~$8 (last I checked). Standard housing works well too.
    Last edited by Yardstick; 01-29-2008 at 08:57 AM.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Adding on to the original question, if upgrading, can the original cables be used if they are the correct length? (sorry if I'm stealing the thread)

mtbr member
    Upgrading from??? If it's another mechanical disc brake, yes. If V-brakes, no.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    I am riding BB7s for only a month but I used regular brake housing ( I think from QBP) and I do not think the housing could make so much difference, they work great. Since it is so easy to recable it I would start with what you have or what costs reasonable price.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Yes, I'm coming from mech. disks. Thanks. Good to know I don't have to deal with running new cable (mine's only 1.5 years old and in good shape, same as the bike).

Meh.
    A compressionless housing such as the Nokon will make a difference... but it's not worth the money. Just go ahead and get the bulk stuff. Cut the ends nice and square, open the inner lining with an awl. Use a regular stainless steel cable (no Teflon coat) and then lube it with something like Rock n Roll Cable Magic or Boeshield T9. Make sure the housing runs are smooth and continuous.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    A compressionless housing such as the Nokon will make a difference... but it's not worth the money. Just go ahead and get the bulk stuff. Cut the ends nice and square, open the inner lining with an awl. Use a regular stainless steel cable (no Teflon coat) and then lube it with something like Rock n Roll Cable Magic or Boeshield T9. Make sure the housing runs are smooth and continuous.
    +1 on bulk housing and stainless (die-drawn) cables. Works great, is inexpensive, and you can replace them regularly without putting a dent in your wallet. Use good (metal) ferrules on the housing, and you're golden.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Needs more cowbell
    yeah, most of the time bulk housing is fine. make sure housing ends are open after you cut it.

seems like when i use t9 on cables they gum up abit, i lean more towards tri flow/cable magic.

Meh.
    Hmmm... t9 shouldn't gum, it's supposed to dry.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Jagwire has a houseing called L3 I guess it has a dupont made linner,any advice on the product...
    thx for the update

I think I need to Upgrade
    Find some good quality BMX brake cable housing (it seems to have less compression than regular housing), and Shimano XTR brake cables. Those 2 together should treat you real good.

Meh.
    BMX housing is usually linear (like a shifter cable). That's why it can be smoother or more consistent. Many of these BMX sets are not long enough to reach the rear brake.

I think XTR cables are unnecessary. Regular bulk cables work just fine. Just pre-stretch them in the stand and readjust.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I'm with Will....

I use bulk housing with my BB7's and standard stainless cables. I don't have any problems with it. I do change cable and housing regularly, usually once a season or when they start to feel draggy. For the price of the fancy stuff you can get enough housing and two sets of cables. That way you can have one on the bike and one in the parts box waiting for the time to change. You'll most likely be more apt to change the cables when they need it if you have a new set on hand. No "special" trips to the LBS just for cables and housing. Then just pick up a new set when you make it in. That way you've always got a set on hand just in case.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

I can't weld
    Ride-this.com used to sell a full jagwire ripcord brake kit for $15 on ebay. Now the best I can find is around $18. Still worth it in my opinion.

Is dang happy!
    Pricepoint has 25" of "Alligator STSP housing for $20. Not sure if it is better than stadard but it looks nice.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

I think I need to Upgrade
    BMX housing is usually linear (like a shifter cable). That's why it can be smoother or more consistent. Many of these BMX sets are not long enough to reach the rear brake.

I think XTR cables are unnecessary. Regular bulk cables work just fine. Just pre-stretch them in the stand and readjust.

Not sure what kind of BMX brake cable housing you are using but the Oddessy brake housing the we have at my shop has conctruction like a normal brake cable housing but with MUCH less compression. Unless he is running full length housing BMX housing will fit just fine. As far as the cables go yea XTR might be a couple of bucks more but it will be smoother for much longer and give a better feel than the cheap stuff, plus it is a tighter twist which means it will have less stretch than a cheap cable.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Not sure what kind of BMX brake cable housing you are using but the Oddessy brake housing the we have at my shop has conctruction like a normal brake cable housing but with MUCH less compression. Unless he is running full length housing BMX housing will fit just fine. As far as the cables go yea XTR might be a couple of bucks more but it will be smoother for much longer and give a better feel than the cheap stuff, plus it is a tighter twist which means it will have less stretch than a cheap cable.
    ODY makes both a linear and a wound housing. Lots of riders prefer the linear because it doesn't influence braking when the cables wrapped around the steer tube from doing barpsins. I don't like interrupted runs for disc brakes. Disc brakes are supposed to offer consistent performance in all weather... can't really do that when you cables are jammed with grit or mud builds up around the ends at the cable stops.

Most people probably won't feel the difference between XTR and bulk stuff. I'll run the bulk stuff because I can have it for free at the shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ODY makes both a linear and a wound housing. Lots of riders prefer the linear because it doesn't influence braking when the cables wrapped around the steer tube from doing barpsins. I don't like interrupted runs for disc brakes. Disc brakes are supposed to offer consistent performance in all weather... can't really do that when you cables are jammed with grit or mud builds up around the ends at the cable stops.

Most people probably won't feel the difference between XTR and bulk stuff. I'll run the bulk stuff because I can have it for free at the shop.
    couldn't agree more.

ballbuster

BMX housing rules

Quote Originally Posted by 29ERCAT
    I purchased a set of bb7,I dont want to spend up for the ripcord setup.Has anyone used the standard jagwire L3 houseing,its half the price of shimano houseing.also xtr cable is a hair larger than the sram brake cable,is there a prefeance to either.
    thx
    Instead of the regular spiral wound stuff, the BMX bikes use housing that has straight stiff wires down it, like shifter housing but fatter.

I bought an XTR set and was pretty unimpressed. The housing compress like mad... I mean visibly. I could actually see the stuff compress down.