mtbr member

Before I start cleaning and sanding...

The brakes on both my and my brother's bikes started howling really badly after transporting them during winter weather. I can only assume the road salts/winter pretreatments used have contaminated them. I plan to clean the rotors with denatured alcohol and sand the pads a little with 220g sandpaper. Any other advise for quieting these puppies down before I go about this plan? Would sanding the rotors and then cleaning (or vise-versa) be any better?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    First wash with soap and water...the rinse with water....then use isopropyl alcohol (or skip it)...then a light sanding...

Yes road salt and grime will screw up brakes....I commute all winter long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    First wash with soap and water...the rinse with water....then use isopropyl alcohol (or skip it)...then a light sanding...

Yes road salt and grime will screw up brakes....I commute all winter long.
    Would you recommend a finer grit than 220? I've got 320 and 600. Also would resurfacing the pads be necessary or will cleaning and sanding the rotors suffice?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would do both, just make sure to keep the pad surface flat as it could cause problems if sanded at an angle.

staike
    Also lube the pistons and place some copper pasta on the backside of the pads to eliminate stiction and vibrations.

mtbr member
    Copper pasta? Also, any specific lube best? I've got regular medium viscosity in a needle applicator. Thanks for the help so far guys, gotta quiet these things down before the upcoming weekend, the howl drives me insane.

Also, I plan to put the sandpaper on the garage floor and sand the pads to help ensure that they sand evenly and straight.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    Would you recommend a finer grit than 220? I've got 320 and 600. Also would resurfacing the pads be necessary or will cleaning and sanding the rotors suffice?
    If the pads are fouled then both....220 is fine.

Often when it gets cold calipers might leak a bit of oil or slimmy road roost get into them, or water of condensation gets into them when you bring them in from the cold...

If the above happenned them a burn off will fix the pads...

Put them in an old fry pan at med heat until the smoking stops...then light sand and install...rebedding will be required.

mtbr member
    Not thinking they are oil contaminated since they still grab. Should be alright with just a little sanding. First I'll just try the rotors and go from there.

staike
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny No.5 View Post
    Copper pasta?.
    Copper grease* Google it. A fairly common solution on cars, we did the same thing to silence bicycle brakes in the shop I earlier worked in... worked good.