Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

BB7's still preferred over low end hydro's?

The subject pretty much says it all really, I currently have BB5's on my bike, and looking to upgrade them. My budget is $120 for front and rear. Are BB7's still the better option than some low end hydraulic brakes?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What hydros are you looking at? I'm guessing hydros for $60 each are going to be crap. You could double check on the review section.

I have BB 7s and Avid Juicy 7s. I have a slight preference for the J7s but there's a big difference price. The BB7s are outstanding and probably impossible to beat for the price.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Short answer? - Yes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    ^^^^^^^^^
    +1

and I run hydro's but ride my friends SS with BB7's

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    you are not going to get better stoppers then the bb7's for the price. Unless you find a great deal some where.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5
    What hydros are you looking at? I'm guessing hydros for $60 each are going to be crap. You could double check on the review section.

I have BB 7s and Avid Juicy 7s. I have a slight preference for the J7s but there's a big difference price. The BB7s are outstanding and probably impossible to beat for the price.
    I had not actually looked at any hydro's in particular, just remembered reading a lot of threads comparing low end hydros to the BB7's, and the BB7's were always the preferred choice. I think the only hydro's that are even close in price would be Juicy 3's, and am fairly sure the BB7 would again be the choice if picking between the 2.

bumbles bounce
    Just slapped a pair of BB7s on a resurected KHS fs rig rebuild that formerly had rim brakes. They have way better power than my other ride with older J5s on it, which I consider low end hydros. It's gonna be tough to find a better system brand new out of the box for less than $100 a set delivered. Set & forget, field repairable & bombproof. Winner!! I'm sold.

mtbr member
    i have a brand new set of BB7s on my F400 SS and as mechanical brakes go they're very nice. however, i also have a set of Formula Oro K18s that are as far above my BB7s as heaven is above hell. the downside with the K18s is that they were discontinued in 2009, so i have to buy pads and rotors on Ebay. the upside, though, is that i got the brakes at a fraction of the original cost, they're impeccably made, they're light, and they stop like a champ. i am budget-conscious, too, and you can pick up a NOS pair of K18s for about $170 shipped and they'll use the 160mm rotors from your BB5s (i would have the rotors you're using trued, though). additionally, they're plug-n-play if you happen to have a torque wrench with which to install the mounts, calipers, and rotors to the right Nm.

good luck on whatever you choose to roll with (er, stop with!), man, and let us know where you land with the decision.

mtbr member
    BB7's definitely, and they're a big improvement on the BB5, more adjustable.

mtbr member
    Technically speaking low end hydros should be better than BB7s, as the BB7's are single piston whereas the hydros are two piston. In reality the BB7s are about as good as many low and medium range hydros. Also if you upgrade the rotors, pads, lines and levers you can make BB7s even better, plus they are constructed stronger and last longer and are easier to service. Personally looking at the Avid line-up I'd just buy Code or BB7 and forget the crap in the middle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    bb5 absolutely blow...they should be illegal!

bb7 don't have the "buttery" feel of hydraulics, but IMO just as powerful if set up right. ifu don'tmind "fiddling" with your brakes once in a while bb7 are a cost-effective way to go. work great with Paul's levers too.
    http://www.paulcomp.com/lovelevercomp.html
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for all the replies, I am fairly sure I will go with the BB7's. Just quickly, I was browsing on ebay and how do the Shimano M595's compare?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Have you thought about saving up another $80 and getting yourself a pair of Shimano SLX brakes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes, definitely debating saving up a little more. Also checking out the classifieds.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I like the BB7's I had over the Formula K18's due to more adjustability, power wise the Hydros were a tad better, but the frequent service needed for the K18's drove me nuts.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    BB7's are ok but if you can find a good price for pre-owned and in good working condition hydros (i.e. Magura Louise, AVID J7's, etc.) that's what I'd go for. You just can't beat the performance and feel of hydros IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    I like the BB7's I had over the Formula K18's due to more adjustability, power wise the Hydros were a tad better, but the frequent service needed for the K18's drove me nuts.
    i havent had to service mine yet, so we'll see how they do. the feel measurably better, to me, than the BB7s. i still have my BB7s, though, on my F400 SS.

Bike to the Bone...
    I just got a pair of Elixir R from CRC for around $95 per wheel, so there are options to be found that are good price.

I did like the BB7, but I just think that a good hydro has a better feel, or to try to be more objective, I prefer the feel of them better. Stopping power? They're about the same, but the Elixirs and Magura Louises have better modulation. They cost a little more (more the Louises than the elixirs).

Give it a crank
    I looked at the same options when I got tired of constantly adjusting my BB-5's as the pads wore down. They worked great and I didn't think going to BB-7's was going to be a big improvement in having to adjust them before a big downhill and every 20 miles or so, even with the extra bogus outer knob. The bigger pads might be a big improvement over the small round BB-5 pads though, that may make a big difference.

I ended up getting a set of used hydros to replace the BB-5's and now I would never go back to mechanical brakes. I can now focus on the ride much better, ride after ride with no fuss, and no fatigue. Go hydro, sooner or later you will anyway, just like everybody else.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by naiku
    Thanks for all the replies, I am fairly sure I will go with the BB7's. Just quickly, I was browsing on ebay and how do the Shimano M595's compare?
    They should be heads and shoulders above.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...rake-10-37554/

I think i just read a big review in some mag where those won. Something like Magura Julie can also occasionally be found on discount and is a great budget brake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have BB-7"s on a 2007 Caliber. They work fine and are extremely reliable, but you have to exert a fair amount of pressure on the lever to get the desired braking. I have a 2009 HiFi with Shimano M 486 hydros. They seem to be more powerful than the BB-7's and they do not require anywhere near the lever pressure that the BB-7's require. On a long technical ride that makes a difference with regard to forearm fatigue. They have also proven to be as reliable as the BB-7's.

I'd go for hydro's.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgang
    ^^^^^^^^^
    +1
    ^^^^^^^^
    +2
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    BB7's a great brake, running hydro Magura lousise now and have to have them bled anyime I taKe the bike to elevation, over about 8,000 ft. Shop doesn't know why, I use the brake spacer and keep the bike upright but rebleed is necessary every time. They howel like a banshee also. Never had ANY problems in 4 years of running the BB7's. The hydros failed me running down Kamakazi at Mammoth, over heated not something I had happen with the BB7's. Probably the very small pad on the Magura.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    BB7's a great brake, running hydro Magura lousise now and have to have them bled anyime I taKe the bike to elevation, over about 8,000 ft. Shop doesn't know why, I use the brake spacer and keep the bike upright but rebleed is necessary every time. They howel like a banshee also. Never had ANY problems in 4 years of running the BB7's. The hydros failed me running down Kamakazi at Mammoth, over heated, not something I had happen with the BB7's. Probably the very small pad on the Magura, the hydros are more powerful than the BB7's and don't have the mud in cable issues of the mech brakes.

I always bleed like this.
    At the $100 mark you get to choose. Go to ebay and look around. You can pick up a new set of k24's or some M765's right at the same price for a set of new bb7's.
    You will have to buy one wheel at a time but so what? Options abound if you are willing to do a little leg work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast