Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

BB7s squealing when climbing

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  thomllama 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is a repeat – couldn’t find anything on the forum.
Under hard pedaling climbing my rear BB7 squeals loudly. The harder the pedaling the louder the squeal. I am fairly sure it’s the (rear) brake because I can reduce the squeal by engaging the brake (perfect solution when climbing hard…:rolleyes:)
It seems like an adjustment –any recommendations?
Thanks.

#2 ·
check your QR in the back and make sure you lined your rear wheel up straight. Happened to me with a different brand but found the extra torque to move the wheel and disk enough to cause it to squeak.

#3 ·
Sorry if this is a repeat - couldn't find anything on the forum.
Under hard pedaling climbing my rear BB7 squeals loudly. The harder the pedaling the louder the squeal. I am fairly sure it's the (rear) brake because I can reduce the squeal by engaging the brake (perfect solution when climbing hard…:rolleyes:)
It seems like an adjustment -any recommendations?
Thanks.
Is the bike a hard tail or full suspension? Has any work been done to the bike before it happened, or have you had a bad wreck lately?

It sounds like you have something loose or damaged that is causing the rubbing under heavy load such as climbing. I would go over all the bolts on the brakes (make sure to check the rotors as well) making sure they are tight, also check the brake cables, housing, and levers for any damage, loose parts etc. Lastly check the rear wheel make sure it is tight, you may even want to pull the wheel off and check the pads. If you do find anything loose, I go through and redo the alignment/setup on the rear brake.

Worse case turn the bike upside down and yank on the rear triangle and check for excessive flex, from either frame damage or a loose swing arm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.