doc optic
    Sep 2005

bb7s with shimano rotors?

I am planning on a wheel upgrade and I am considering getting centerlock hubs. I want to put XTR rotors on these hubs, but I have BB7 calipers right now. I can't think of any conflicts, but I wanted to tap the vast knowledge base here. Thanks guys!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the shimano rotors have a narrower braking path than most brands..so the pads may (very likely) wear unevenly and/or catch the "rotor arms"

I'd recommend you use 6-bolt rotors with an adapter (like the DT one)

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Alternatively, you could begin shaving material off of your Avid pads to fit the track width of the XTR rotors.

Form over function, or something like that, eh?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Former Bike Wrench
    Exactly, the pads WILL catch the rotor arms on Shimano rotors...at least the XTR and XT.

doc optic
    Sep 2005
    Thanks guys! I will change my approach and get 6 bolt hubs and stick with the avid rotors.

Meh.
    You don't have to get the 6 bolt hubs. You can use a centerlock adapter to run 6 bolt rotors on centerlock hubs.

mtbr member
    Has anybody tried using centerlock adapters?

alternate style:

I'm looking at centerlock hubs with my Avid BB7 brakes. Are there any problem using these? Will the rotors line up correctly with the brakes? How about durability? Generally when I'm playing with brakes, less parts is better. Do I need to worry when I'm racing down a monster hill that my brakes might just fail at any moment? Anybody been here before?

--zip
    Last edited by zipzit; 07-12-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Bite Me.
    I am using those exact Alligator units with my BB7s and Avid rotors mounted on XTR centerlock hubs - they work just fine. I also had no problems just running the BB7s on the original XTR rotors. The brake path on the XTR rotor is narrower, and the BB7 pad does contact about 3-4mm of the rotor arms, but it never caused any problem or uneven wear on the pads that I could see. I am not sure why everyone is so concernd about the pads hitting the rotor arms - the arms seem to wear the pads the same as the braking path portion of the rotor - however, I just swapped out to the centerlock converter to be on the safe side.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'm using an XT rotor on a BB5 caliper with no issues. I tried the alligator on one hub and the DT-Swiss adaptor on another. The DT-Swiss part is a much cleaner application, but I went ahead and put an XT rotor on the other hub (found a great deal on it) and it works fine. Not sure how much different the BB7 caliper/pads are though.

The Alligator parts works and lines up fine, just a bit bulky and not particularly aesthetically pleasing IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm using the DT swiss adaptors with XTR centerlock hubs and Juicy 5 rotors/calipers, and they work just fine.
    Not exactly what you're asking about but maybe that would help.....

mtbr member
    By DT Swiss Adapters, I presume you mean these puppies:

JeffJ , TobyGoo & Cutthroat

I have a question for you guys. For both the DT Swiss and the Alligator, Is the part with the centerlock notches and the six pins made of aluminum or made of steel? (I'm wondering... if built from aluminum is that strong enough at the pins?)

The aligator is only $12. The DT-Swiss part is up to $30 each. All I have to look at is the photos I can find here... I gotta believe the aligator part is much smaller in diameter and possibly lighter than the DT Swiss, no matter how "clean" the DT Swiss adapter looks. It's really hard to tell these apart without physically seeing them.

JeffJ.. possible to entice you to take a couple of closeup photos of these adapters, maybe one of each from your bike?

Many thanks in advance...

--Zip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    hey Zip - I'm not sure what they are made out of, but so far they have held together and broke apart. I'd agree that it is probably steel as I'd think over time Aluminum would be too fragile for such a small part, but I'm no engineer.