mtbr member
    Aug 2008

BB7s getting grabby when warm. Anyone else?

This really isn't a problem but I was curious if anyone else has exerienced this. My brakes get grabbier the hotter they get. Modulation is still very good, but if I'm going on a long downhill, the brakes require less and less effort as they warm up. I'm used to it and I compensate automatically without thinking about it. I assume this is a characteristic of the pad material used??? I thought BB7s came with organic pads and in my experience (yes, I know bikes are not cars) organics grab better cold and fade easier when hot and semi metallics and ceramics do the opposite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Your expectations are...

a bit off because your information is incorrect. I know sounds kinda stuffy don't it! What I mean is BB7s come stock with metalic pads not organics. That's why it seems a bit confusing. Your expecting organic performance out of a metalic pad. There are only 4 brake models in the Avid line that come stock with orgainic pads, the Juicy Ultimate, Code, Code 5, and Juicy 3. The rest all come with metalic pads. Why I have no clue, you'd have to ask the folks at Avid that quesion.

Anyway, yup my BB7s do the same thing. The hotter they get the better they bite, up to a point of course. I've only gotten them to heat fade once and they were smokin' hot when they did! I was riding a downhill section on an unfamiliar trail on a 4" travel trail bike. The trail was a bit beyond the bikes capabilities, and I don't mind admiting that I was in over my head too. But yeah the warmer they get the better they perform.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks a lot! I feel just a little dumber now but it all makes sense now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Eh, don't feel dumb about it....

you thought BB7's came with organics, but they were behaving like metalics. It'd confuse me too. Asking is the best way to find out. Nothing dumb about it. Actually you should feel a smarter! You know have one more bit of bike knowledge. At least until Avid changes the spec! Then we'll both be back to scratching our heads.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"