Thread: BB7s on Ebay

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

BB7s on Ebay

I saw these on ebay for a very good price for a set of 2. The price seems too good to be true; only thing I find suspicious is that they ship from Hong Kong...are they real? Amazon has the same thing for $106. Any concerns?

New 2012 Avid BB7 Mountain Mechanical Disc Brake Calipers HS1 Rotors 160mm | eBay

mtbr member
    They look fine. The seller has over 99% positive feed back. Just remember you'll also have to pay $12 shipping.

Tim

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    I as well have took the plunge and purchased these BB7's.
    The rotors have given me to problems to date.
    I have about 750 miles on them are still going.
    No problems so far

Huckin' trails

BB7s on Ebay

Get them US local from AkaCoke, $70 shipped a set, and I think $20 for rotors. PM him, username AkaCoke.

You'll get your stuff in only a few days too
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bought the exact set you're looking at. No problems at all. Great price and fast shipping. Technically speaking the HS1 rotor is not for the BB7s (I think) as the rotor is smaller than the brake pad track. The G2 rotors have wider brake track and might work better. That said, I'm using the HS1 without issues.

The Original Suspect
    I am awaiting the arrival of a set including speed dial 7 levers. I feel pretty good about the purchase. It didn't break the bank, $86 delivered. The seller seems reputable enough, high score and 99.5% feedback. I bought from Rockbros. I'll post up thoughts when they arrive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've found some good deals on BB7's from BlueSkyCycling:

BlueSkyCycling.com - Avid Mechanical BB7 Disc Brake w/ HS1 Rotor 160mm

They recently had a package that included everything needed for installation of front and rear brakes (calipers, pads, levers, G2 rotors, cables, cable housing, ferrules, etc.) for $140. Now that is a deal.

mtbr member
    Just get a set of Avid BB7 Disc Brake Front and Rear Calipers 160mm G3 Rotors SD7 Levers on Ebay for $119.97 shipped. On the pictures it says "ROCKBROS" but the sellers name is GOBIKE168 and has a 99.4% positive feedback rating and is located in Hong Kong.

Avid BB7 Disc Brake Front and Rear Calipers 160mm G3 Rotors SD7 Levers | eBay

The Original Suspect
    [QUOTE=Kdowg65;10577665]Just get a set of Avid BB7 Disc Brake Front and Rear Calipers 160mm G3 Rotors SD7 Levers on Ebay for $119.97 shipped. On the pictures it says "ROCKBROS" but the sellers name is GOBIKE168 and has a 99.4% positive feedback rating and is located in Hong Kong.

I bought the same set from the same seller at auction for $86 delivered. Still waiting on arrival!

Huckin' trails

BB7s on Ebay

Beware as most of these kits that includes HS1 rotors or similar for around $80-$90 are most likely fake rotors, all shipping from Hong Kong or around there. Fibica on eBay is selling fake HS1 rotors, I had them on hand, not just a rumor. The calipers are no problem, the pads are mainly aftermarket generic ones, but I haven't seen any issue with them. Mainly beware of the rotors, they should be multiple-directional grounded, not just grounding marks in one direction, the laser etching should be sharps, not stamp-like looking and smear, the weight should be constant throughout the rotors too.

Also for housing, the best thing you can use is called linear brake housing. It's a compression-free housing like your derailleur housing, but re-enforced not to blow open under the cable tension. Any coil-like design (traditional brake housing) will give you some compression as soon as the housing starts to curve and bend.

I recommend Kore Linear brake housing kit, can be found for about $15-20 online, is 3m long uncut housing, 6 nice alloy ferrules, 2 SS brake cables and crimps. Also Odyssey offer similar kits, always linear brake housing, for the same price range and lots of different colors.

More expensive is the Jagwire Ripcord kit, which includes more stuff that you don't even need if you run full housing and basically the same performance for twice the price.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

The Original Suspect
    Thanks David C!
    I read about the fake rotors by "Fibica" and chose not to order from them. The rotors included with my purchase are G3. I plan on using this set up on a single speed. I also plan on using the Jagwire cables and housing. I have had good luck with that set up in the past.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just to be clear they are not "fake rotors" they are "fake HS1 rotors". The discount is probably because you are getting cheap rotors.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you use "fake HS1 rotors"?

Huckin' trails

BB7s on Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...bicycles View Post
    I don't know, I asked for a refund on the rotors from Fibica and then sold the rotors to a friend. Made $40 right there.

I'll ask him how they are doing, if he ever have used them yet. My guess would be poor performance regarding the heat dissipation, braking power, warping easily, very long bed-in period for the pads, etc.

Note : the person I sold the rotors to isn't using them for mtb. He has a bike trailer moving company and only ride the bikes on the streets, nothing extreme. He hook up a big trailer behind the bike and move stuff across the city, no high speed involved. I would endanger someone lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdowg65 View Post
    Just get a set of Avid BB7 Disc Brake Front and Rear Calipers 160mm G3 Rotors SD7 Levers on Ebay for $119.97 shipped. On the pictures it says "ROCKBROS" but the sellers name is GOBIKE168 and has a 99.4% positive feedback rating and is located in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    I bought the same set from the same seller at auction for $86 delivered. Still waiting on arrival!

You got a good deal, I didn't see any at auction with the G3's rotors and SD7 levers. Seller said he shipped them this morning so I hope they show up in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Beware as most of these kits that includes HS1 rotors or similar for around $80-$90 are most likely fake rotors, all shipping from Hong Kong or around there. Fibica on eBay is selling fake HS1 rotors, I had them on hand, not just a rumor. The calipers are no problem, the pads are mainly aftermarket generic ones, but I haven't seen any issue with them. Mainly beware of the rotors, they should be multiple-directional grounded, not just grounding marks in one direction, the laser etching should be sharps, not stamp-like looking and smear, the weight should be constant throughout the rotors too.

Also for housing, the best thing you can use is called linear brake housing. It's a compression-free housing like your derailleur housing, but re-enforced not to blow open under the cable tension. Any coil-like design (traditional brake housing) will give you some compression as soon as the housing starts to curve and bend.

I recommend Kore Linear brake housing kit, can be found for about $15-20 online, is 3m long uncut housing, 6 nice alloy ferrules, 2 SS brake cables and crimps. Also Odyssey offer similar kits, always linear brake housing, for the same price range and lots of different colors.

More expensive is the Jagwire Ripcord kit, which includes more stuff that you don't even need if you run full housing and basically the same performance for twice the price.
    I've read something about the HS1 roters not meant to be used with the BB7's? or maybe just because of them being fake. That's why I went with the G3 but maybe should have gone with the G2? Only way to know is to use them and find out for myself. As for the housing info, good to know! I've looked into the Jagwire Ripcord kit; might be overkill for me, but everything I do is overkill.

Huckin' trails

BB7s on Ebay

HS1 rotor has a smaller braking surface than the BB7 pad. But even the new G2 rotors are smaller too.

See below :

BB7s on Ebay-imageuploadedbytapatalk1375484014.622023.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm...bicycles View Post
    Nothing. They work fine. I've been using mine for 4 months now. Great power, no squeal, works fine. I've hear that the one direction sanding/grinding can lead to noise, but not that I've noticed. In my experience, they are performing fine and are without issue.