Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

BB7's......don't even bother to ask.

Just go get some.

I'm guessing that mine are officially broken in, and all I can say is wow!! I had 100% full control on one of the fastest descents I have in my area. Speeds can easily see 33-35 mph. with runoff ditches and small holes.

I had Formula hydros on my last bike, and could never control the speeds like I did today.

When it came time to slow down for real (approaching hikers) they grabbed like nobody's business.

My experience today makes me wonder, has anyone ever done stop tests with various brakes? I am sure my BB7's stop me in way shorter a distance than my old Formula hydros.

I'd be interested in any REAL data.
    2012 Trek Marlin BB7's / SD-7's, G3's, and Kenda Nevegals

My website: www.n2ovette.com

Short-Change-Hero
    Agreed. Once dialed in they are incredible brakes!! I always am looking at other brake kits but damn if I can't fault the ones I have. Always stop me, good modulation, everything. Only gripe I have is my back one, the piston likes to stick a lot so sometimes it take a good whack to get it back to normal but other than that they are incredible brakes.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    must admit i really love my bb7s. pair them u with the SD7 levers and you're golden.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Im curious for a review of the sd 7 levers? What makes them any better than a traditional cheapo cable lever?

Class Clown
    there are tons of reviews of the speed dial levers. I think the biggest thing is the extra lever feel knob. i don't know how necessary it is though since I use regular avid levers and they work perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey Johnson View Post
    Just go get some.

I'm guessing that mine are officially broken in, and all I can say is wow!! I had 100% full control on one of the fastest descents I have in my area. Speeds can easily see 33-35 mph. with runoff ditches and small holes.

I had Formula hydros on my last bike, and could never control the speeds like I did today.

When it came time to slow down for real (approaching hikers) they grabbed like nobody's business.

My experience today makes me wonder, has anyone ever done stop tests with various brakes? I am sure my BB7's stop me in way shorter a distance than my old Formula hydros.

I'd be interested in any REAL data.
    OK, I'm curious.... As a relative newb, contemplating a brake upgrade over the winter, I've been reading as much as I can. I've seen lots and lots of enthusiastic recommendations on the BB7's. It seems the big points are that they are a very easy to adjust and maintain and do a superlative job of stopping bicycles and they are the best bang for the buck, period.

I have been looking for/at the 2012 Shimano XT M785 as the replacements for the M 575's that came on the bike, but I keep wondering whether these BB7's might be fine.

As I said, I've done a fair amount of searching and reading on this forum, but aside from finding a lot of people happy with BB7's, I still am unclear about the advantages they have over a good hydraulic system. I'm assuming that hydraulics must be better in some ways since I've never heard of a top-level bike using anything other than hydraulics. Ditto for racing bikes.

I have seen a few posts that claim that BB7's are equal to or better than hydraulic setups up to a certain quality level, and someone mentioned that being a $400 set of brakes, but offered no more data than his opinion.

I'm not trying to start an argument but trying to get a clear idea of where BB7's stand in relation to hydraulic alternatives, specifically the Shimano XT and XTR setups.

TIA for any enlightenment.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

Afric Pepperbird
    I like them on my old hardtail. They are good.

But I do like my Elixir 5 hydros even better.

Just one man's opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    My BB7s have to be the best upgrade Ive done to my bike. The stock Tetkro brakes just flat out sucked. There was no adjustability and the pads would easily glaze over requiring a good cleaning and some sandpaper to get some feel back.

With the sales on the BB7s, it was a no brainer in my mind. The ability to actually stop is a huge plus.

As for why I went with BB7s, its all cost. A good hydro set would of run around $200. I got the BB7s for about $105 shipped to my door. Im sure I will upgrade to hydro in a few years but the mechs work good for me for now.

Nickel Havr
    I've rode both BB7's and Hayes MX-4's.... And I prefer the MX-4's.
    They took less effort to pull the lever... Other than that they were similar.

I'm currently riding Avid Juicy 3's... The lever pull is much easier but they are a pain to adjust and require attention to keep them from squeaking!
    I just upgraded to a 180mm rotor up front to combat some fade I had at 25mph+ as well... Never had those problems with the MX-4's...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    BB7's are easily the best upgrade I've made to my bike. Can't really argue with $100 bucks shipped for the set either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey47 View Post
    must admit i really love my bb7s. pair them u with the SD7 levers and you're golden.
    found a set of SD7's at a lbs for $28 set. Just did the install.

not sure on performance difference yet over the FR-5's that came with my brakes, but they at least stopped me on my test ride.

the adjustability will be a plus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Wait until you really break them in.

I also have the 185s so I not only got a bigger rotor to combat the brake fade but also still have excellent modulation to go with it. With the Tetkros it was either full or nothing. Very scary.

Speed dials are pretty sweet. They do make a good difference as well. Change the feel while on a bike ride? Heck yes!

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    Modulation is the only difference IMHO. The BB7's can be a bit touchy. I have both BB7's and XT's, both are easy to set up and both work well but the XT's just feel better. In the end, the hydro's offer a slight incremental improvement. That being said, I would be perfectly happy if all my bikes had bb7's. Not so sure I'd recommend some of the non Shimano hydro's for a noob though, can be a ***** to set up and maintain (gf has hayes -- which I work on, they suck and always have a bit of rub). I also don't think you need to get the xt or xtr's, slx or lx or even deore work well in the trailbike application. YMMV
    Drink beer all day

...ride to live
    Sep 2011
    The only real data I can provide is that the BB7's paid for themselves.

I upgraded from BB5's which was eating my lunch on replacement pads. My BB7's with metallic pads typically go 2 to 3 seasons where I was going through 2-3 sets a season with the BB5's.

Overall, the metallic pads may not grab as well as organics in really hard stops but it does extend their life -and- provides much better modulation control by not being quite so grabby. They will still put you over the handlebars if needed.

mtbr member

Good job!

I have a few bikes that have really nice, high end hydraulic brakes that work really well. I have a set of BB7's on my Quiring that work just as well, and in some cases better. The hydro's require a lot of bleeding and fiddlefukking to keep them working well. My BB7's just require me to occasionally crank a knob to account for pad wear. BB7's are still, IMHO, one of the best brake systems on the market.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Russians say - dont compare a finger with a penis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Love my BB7s. Just picked up a Felt 29er that was a demo bike (great deal on it!) and it was 100% SLX stuff. I swapped out the brakes with 7s and a set of speed dial levers and it's perfect. More power by far than the hyd. SLX brakes, and better control.

I still don't know why they make the BB5s. . . Sticking your foot into traffic to stop works better than those things.

Short-Change-Hero
    Really with the BB7s your main items are cost savings (comparable pair of hydros will end up costing at least $200 and really end up being more unless you are into bleeding them yourself. Then you have the simplicity of adjustment, turn the barrel adjuster to increase some tension, turn your inboard/outboard pad adjustment knobs for more or less brake grab and you are pretty much done. The only problem that I have had with my 2006 pair is that one of the cylinders sticks and so every once in a while I have to smack the housing to get it to release. Overall, considering you can get a new 2011 pair with XT cables and SD7 levers for $120 from Blueskycycling you really can't go wrong.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    A big thanks to everyone here that recommended BB7's in one of my earlier threads.

Had I not asked here, I fear I would have ended up with the BB5's, or maybe even something from another mfg.

I'm back from my adjustment ride with my new SD-7's

After I learned what the magic red knobs on the levers do, I have my brakes fine tuned to my particular riding style.

It's truly amazing what a couple "clicks" can do!! I may never own a different set of brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a pair of BB7s and the speed dial levers on my monocog, but I can't seem to get them set up just right. The inside pad is nearly impossible to move, but I have it in pretty much the right spot now. I can't get good braking with out a little bit of rub though. And they are awfully squeeky.

Any advice?

mtbr member
    honestly, the only advice I could give, is to take your time, and follow the install/adjustment procedures 100%.

I watched a good vid on youtube.

google "avid bb7 setup" and check out the vid from SRAMtech.

Follow his steps to the tee. Unfortunately, these are very sensitive brakes, so patience is key, but when they are finally properly adjusted, you'll actually know it. I thought I was done, but had a slight rub, and went back and readjusted.

I had the FR-5 levers for the install, and they worked well...until....the SD 7's.

For the SD 7 levers, I did no further adjustments at the calipers. I followed the install sheet step for step.

The "red knob" adjustment is not a "my brakes are better than yours" type of adjustment. It's purely a personal feel to the brakes. What I like, may not work well for you, and vice versa.

As for squealing...I'd give the rotors a good cleaning with some alcohol. I have even experienced squealing with my setup. Weather has alot to with the squealing...early morning rides, and predusk rides can cause noise. heat of the day, mine seem to be okay, but you WILL occasionally experience squealing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Porschefan View Post
    OK, I'm curious.... As a relative newb, contemplating a brake upgrade over the winter, I've been reading as much as I can. I've seen lots and lots of enthusiastic recommendations on the BB7's. It seems the big points are that they are a very easy to adjust and maintain and do a superlative job of stopping bicycles and they are the best bang for the buck, period.

I have been looking for/at the 2012 Shimano XT M785 as the replacements for the M 575's that came on the bike, but I keep wondering whether these BB7's might be fine.

As I said, I've done a fair amount of searching and reading on this forum, but aside from finding a lot of people happy with BB7's, I still am unclear about the advantages they have over a good hydraulic system. I'm assuming that hydraulics must be better in some ways since I've never heard of a top-level bike using anything other than hydraulics. Ditto for racing bikes.

I have seen a few posts that claim that BB7's are equal to or better than hydraulic setups up to a certain quality level, and someone mentioned that being a $400 set of brakes, but offered no more data than his opinion.

I'm not trying to start an argument but trying to get a clear idea of where BB7's stand in relation to hydraulic alternatives, specifically the Shimano XT and XTR setups.

TIA for any enlightenment.
    I'm looking at the XT hydraulic brakes too, except I'm looking to build up my first mtb. The XT brakes I see at Jensen are the XT M775's hydraulic, and they are hella expensive: $370 without rotors. I see the 2012 XT M785's at Universal for $292 without rotors. After watching this video on how to bleed the XT brakes:

Shimano XT M775 Hydraulic Disc Brake Kit at JensonUSA.com

I really don't want anything to do with hydraulic brakes. If the Avid BB7's can be had for $121 at Blue Sky(160mm rotor front and rear), that seems like the way to go to me. I weigh 230 lbs., though, so I think I might need a 180mm rotor in the front.

I've demo'ed a few of mtbs over the last two years: Ibis Mojo, SC Blur LT1, Carbon Nomad + XT kit. Would those have been equipped with hydraulic brakes or mechanical brakes? Alternatively, if you buy, say a Santa Cruz Blur LT2 with a kit today, will those be hydraulic or mechanical brakes?
    Last edited by happyriding; 09-18-2011 at 03:30 PM.

...ride to live
    Sep 2011
    And that $120 includes $40 in pads; I'm just sayin'

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The other ones come with pads too....I did make a mistake though, the M775's at Jensen are $370 w/o rotors!

resin v. metallic pads???

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I still don't know why they make the BB5s. . . Sticking your foot into traffic to stop works better than those things.

That's just dumb, BB7s are better than BB5s but the BB5s stop just fine. The 5s more difficult to adjust than the 7s but I've had no problem with stopping - once they're adjusted properly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast